on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Kutz family come from? What is the German Kutz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kutz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kutz family history?The Kutz surname is thought to be derived from the Middle High German word "kotze," which was a coarse woolen cloth or garment.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kutzel, Kotzel, Kotzeler, Kottel, Kotzbuhel, Kostolitz, Kostoletzky, Kotschubel, Kuttel and many more.
First found in East Prussia, where the name was originally found in Livonia and moved south and became Russian Counts in 1799. They gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kutz research. Another 263 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1295 and 1759 are included under the topic Early Kutz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Kutz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kutz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Kutz, who came to Philadelphia in 1732
- Jacob Kutz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Michael Kutz, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1752
- Johannes Kutz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754
- George Kutz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1761
Kutz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Erasmus A Kutz, who landed in New York, NY in 1826
- Ernst Kutz, who came to Baltimore in 1840
- Simon Kutz, who landed in New York, NY in 1850
- Catharina Kutz, aged 8, arrived in New York, NY in 1872
- Heinrich Kutz, aged 7, landed in New York, NY in 1872
- I. Henry Kutz, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Westchester County 1st District, 1940
- Harry D. Kutz, American Democrat politician, Member of Pennsylvania State Senate 18th District, 1923-26; postmaster at Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 1934 (acting, 1934)
- Charles M. Kutz, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1952
- Charles Kutz, American politician, Representative from Pennsylvania 21st District, 1926; Labor Candidate for U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania, 1928
- Carrie Kutz, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 1934-36 (acting, 1934-36)
- C. W. Kutz, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Berks County, 1889-92
- Brigadier-General Harry Russell Kutz (1889-1976), American Chief of Military Plans & Training Service, Office of the Chief of Ordnance (1942-1946)
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Kutz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kutz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 October 2015 at 10:22.
on orders of $85 or more