on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Koerber derives from the Low German word "korb," which meant "basket." As a surname, Koerber was originally occupational
, used for a maker or vendor of baskets.
The surname Koerber was first found in Bavaria
, where the name Korb was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Korb, Korrb, Korbb, Korbe, Korrbe, Korbbe, Korbes, Korbee and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Koerber research. Another 173 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1746, 1792, and 1814 are included under the topic Early Koerber History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Koerber Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Koerber Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann David Koerber, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Johannes Koerber, who arrived in New York, NY in 1782
- Bernhard Koerber, who settled in North America in 1782
Koerber Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Auguste Koerber, who came to New York, NY in 1853
- Christian Koerber, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1863
- Charles Koerber, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1869
- Otto Koerber, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1876
- 'Click' Koerber, American creator and patent holder of Clix, a brand of malt liquor made by the Grand Valley Brewing Company in 1937
- Leila Marie Koerber (1868-1934), birth name of Marie Dressler, a Canadian-born, American Academy Award winning stage and screen actress, perhaps best known for her roles with Charlie Chaplin
- Celement Koerber Jr., American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Colorado, 2012
- Barbara Ann Jackson Koerber (b. 1929), American Democrat politician, Candidate for Iowa State Senate 17th District, 1970
- Hilde Koerber (1906-1969), German film actress
- Kurt A. Koerber (1909-1992), German founder and businessman
- Ernest von Koerber (1850-1919), Austrian politician, 18th Minister-President of Cisleithania (1900-1904)
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
The Koerber Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Koerber Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 November 2015 at 11:56.
on orders of $85 or more