Klass History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Klass was first used by the people of the German province of Westphalia, which lay in the area between the Rhine and Wesser rivers. It is a patronymic name, derived from the given name of the father of the original bearer. Along with metronymic names, which come from the name of the mother of the bearer, patronymics were one of the most popular early German name types. Klass was derived from the baptismal name Clausen, which is a form of the name Nicholas. The given name Nicholas, which means people's victory, was popular among Christians throughout Europe in the Middle Ages.
Early Origins of the Klass family
The surname Klass was first found in Westphalia, where the family made a considerable contribution to the feudal society which shaped modern Europe. The family branched into several houses, all of which played important roles in the local political conflicts which forged the nation.
Important Dates for the Klass family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Klass research. Another 176 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1676, 1786, 1850, 1622 and 1678 are included under the topic Early Klass History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Klass Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name Klass include Klassen, Klasse, Klass, Klasen, Klase, Klas, Classen, Classe, Class, Clasen, Clase, Clas, Klasing, Klaasen, Klaasen, Claasen, Klaase, Claase, Klaas and many more.
Early Notables of the Klass family (pre 1700)
Notables of the period with the name Klass were Daniel Clasen, in Latin Danielis Clasenius or Clasenus (1622-1678), a German political theorist, religious scholar, and classicist; and...
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Klass Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Klass migration to the United States
Many Germans emigrated across the Atlantic to seek better lives in North America. This great migration began in the middle of the 17th century and continued into the 20th century. Resettlement was particularly attractive to those from Westphalia as a means of escape from poverty and religious persecution. For many Westphalian farmers, the chance to own one's own land was also a major incentive. The process of the widespread colonization of the United States began in 1650, when many immigrants from Germany settled in pockets in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. In Canada, German settlements centered around Ontario and the Prairie provinces. Among them:
Typical Klass Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Klass Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Melcher Klass, aged 32, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738 
Klass Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Maria Klass, who landed in Brazil in 1835 
- A Maria Klass, who landed in Brazil in 1845 
- Abraham Klass, aged 11, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1874 
- Agneta Klass, aged 42, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1874 
- Anna Klass, aged 19, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1874 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Klass (post 1700)
- Craig Klass (b. 1965), American Olympic water polo player
- Eugene Klass (b. 1919), birth name of American actor Gene Barry
- Wil Klass, American travel writer
- Philip J. Klass (1919-2005), American UFO researcher
- Edward Klass (b. 1965), American water polo player
- David Klass, American screenplay writer and children's author
- Günter Klass (1936-1967), German race driver
- Christa Klass (b. 1951), German politician
- Sholom Klass (1916-2000), Rabbi and editor of The Jewish Press
- Myleene Klass (b. 1978), British musician, former member of the UK pop group Hear'Say
- ... (Another 2 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)