The Irish name Kelleagh has a long Gaelic heritage to its credit. The original Gaelic form of the name Kelleagh is O Ceallaigh or Mac Ceallaigh. These names denote descendants of Ceallach. This personal name
may be derived from the word "ceallach," which means "strife."
Early Origins of the Kelleagh family
The surname Kelleagh was first found in southwest Ireland
, south of Dublin
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times. The Kelly surname is conjecturally descended from King Colla da Crioch, who died in 357 A.D.
Early History of the Kelleagh family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kelleagh research.Another 223 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1518, 1238, 1253, 1555, 1597, 1621, 1695, 1701, 1690 and 1699 are included under the topic Early Kelleagh History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kelleagh Spelling Variations
Within the archives researched, many different spelling variations
of the surname Kelleagh were found. These included One reason for the many variations is that scribes and church officials often spelled an individual's name as it sounded. This imprecise method often led to many versions. Kelly, Kellie, O'Kelly, O'Killia and others.
Early Notables of the Kelleagh family (pre 1700)
Prominent amongst the family at this time was Daniel MacKelly; Sir Edward Kelley or Kelly, also known as Edward Talbot (1555-1597), Irish occultist and self-declared spirit medium; Charles O’Kelly (1621-1695) was an Irish soldier and writer from Aughrim, County Galway; and James Gilliam, also known as James Kelly, (died 1701), an... Another 74 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kelleagh Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kelleagh family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the religious and political discrimination they experienced primarily at the hands of the English, thousands of Irish left their homeland in the 19th century. These migrants typically settled in communities throughout the East Coast of North America, but also joined the wagon trains moving out to the Midwest. Ironically, when the American War of Independence
began, many Irish settlers took the side of England
, and at the war's conclusion moved north to Canada. These United Empire Loyalists, were granted land along the St. Lawrence River and the Niagara Peninsula. Other Irish immigrants settled in Newfoundland, the Ottawa Valley, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The greatest influx of Irish immigrants, however, came to North America during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. Thousands left Ireland
at this time for North America and Australia
. Many of those numbers, however, did not live through the long sea passage. These Irish settlers to North America were immediately put to work building railroads, coal mines, bridges, and canals. Irish settlers made an inestimable contribution to the building of the New World. Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the Irish name Kelleagh or a variant listed above, including: Brian Kelly, who purchased land in Virginia in 1635; David O'Killlia came to Old Yarmouth/New Dennis, MA in the early 1600s, where he changed his name to O'Kelley.
The Kelleagh Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Turris Fortis Mihi Deus
Motto Translation: God is a strong tower to me.