Hummell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient roots of the Hummell family are found in the German state of Bavaria. The Hummell surname, was a local name, for someone who lived in Bavaria from very early times.
Early Origins of the Hummell family
The surname Hummell was first found in Bavaria, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Important Dates for the Hummell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hummell research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1817, 1778 and 1837 are included under the topic Early Hummell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hummell Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name Hummell include Hummel, Humel, Hummell, Humell, Hummle, Humle and others.
Early Notables of the Hummell family (pre 1700)
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hummell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hummell migration to the United States
German settlers were among the most common to come to North America between the mid-17th and mid-20th centuries. Poverty and religious persecution drove many Bavarians to make this long trek. tenant farmers were also enticed by the prospect of owning land. From east to west, these German immigrants populated the United States, settling in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. Ontario and the prairie provinces of Canada also provided homes to many. Early settlers bearing the Hummell surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Hummell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Hummell, who settled in Philadelphia in 1736
- John Gerhard Hummell, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753 
- Elias Hummell, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1760 
- Frederick Hummell, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1762 
- Jacob Hummell, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Hummell (post 1700)
- Edward G. Hummell, American Republican politician, Chair of Camden County Republican Party, 1945 
- Bertold Hummell (1925-2002), German composer of modern classical music
- David Hummell Greer (1844-1919), American Protestant Episcopal bishop from Wheeling, Virginia
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 5) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html