Of all the Anglo-Saxon
names to come from Britain, Houldswithy is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in the county of Yorkshire
, where they held manor at Haldsworth.
Early Origins of the Houldswithy family
The surname Houldswithy was first found in Yorkshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Houldswithy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Houldswithy research.Another 183 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 127 and 1273 are included under the topic Early Houldswithy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Houldswithy Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred
years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Houldswithy has been spelled many different ways, including Holdsworth, Holesworth, Houlsworth, Holdworth, Houldworth and many more.
Early Notables of the Houldswithy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Houldswithy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Houldswithy family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Houldswithys to arrive in North America: Seth Holdsworth settled in Barbados in 1675; Scholas Houldsworth arrived in Philadelphia in 1856.