Hohn History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
A multitude of prestigious family names, such as the surname Hohn, were formed in the lands which became the modern state of Germany, a place renowned for its beauty, industry, and economic power. However, in the medieval era, Germany was fragmented and inhabited by numerous Barbarian tribes, who fought amongst themselves for control of the land. At this time, the surname Hohn emerged throughout the German territories.
Early Origins of the Hohn family
The surname Hohn was first found in Germany, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name Hann became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. Hans den alten Hanne and his son Hans den junge Hanne were recorded in the "Zeirschrift fur deutsche Geschicte des Oberrheins" in the year 1386. In 1498, Bernhardus Hani appears in the Wurttembergische Regesten" as a citizen of Grosseislingen.
Early History of the Hohn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hohn research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1752, 1839, 1921, 1792, 1863, 1843, 1805 and 1880 are included under the topic Early Hohn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hohn Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name Hohn include Hann, Hanne, Hänn, Hahn, Hahne, Hahnn, Hahnne, Haann, Haanne, Haan, Haane, Hahner, Hahnen, Hahns, Hahnlen, Hähnel, Hannel, Hanl, Hanner, Hanns, Haun, Haunn, Hawn, Honn, Honnel, Honner, Hohn, Hohne, Haen and many more.
Early Notables of the Hohn family (pre 1700)
Notables of the time with the name Hohn included Julius Hann (1839-1921) Austrian meteorologist and climatologist whose international reputation was built on his studies of atmospheric dynamics, thermodynamics, cyclones, climatology and the "atmospheric pulse"; August Hahn (1792-1863) German divine who served...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hohn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hohn migration to the United States +
A search of the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Hohn:
Hohn Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Geo Friederic Hohn, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
Hohn Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Hohn, aged 28, who landed in Missouri in 1841 
- Peter Hohn, who arrived in America in 1854 
- Johannette Hohn, who arrived in America in 1854 
- Franz Hohn, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1860 
- Wilhelm Hohn, aged 36, who landed in America in 1864 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Hohn (post 1700) +
- Oscar Hohn, American politician, Candidate for Wisconsin State Assembly from Shawano County, 1938 
- Curt Hohn, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from South Dakota at-large, 2000 
- Leutnant Fritz Höhn (1896-1918), German World War I fighter ace credited with 21 victories
- Carola Höhn (1910-2005), German stage and movie actress
- Uwe Hohn (b. 1962), German athlete and coach, two-time gold medalist javelin thrower
- Hermann Hohn (1897-1968), German World War II general, recipient of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Mark Hohn (b. 1967), Australian rugby league footballer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html