on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Hickerson family come from? What is the English Hickerson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hickerson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hickerson family history?Of all the Anglo-Saxon names to come from Britain, Hickerson is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in Huntingdonshire. The name could also have been a baptismal name derived as the son of Richard.
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Hickerson has been spelled many different ways, including Hicock, Hichcoke, Hickox, Hickhock, Hickhocke and many more.
First found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hickerson research. Another 286 words(20 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hickerson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hickerson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Hickersons to arrive in North America:
Hickerson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- L. Hickerson, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1907
- Malva Hickerson, aged 35, who landed in America, in 1910
- W. Hickerson, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1920
- Walter Hickerson, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
- Harry Hickerson, aged 28, who emigrated to America, in 1920
- Bryan Hickerson (b. 1963), American former Major League Baseball player
- Robert Gene Hickerson (1935-2008), former American Football offensive guard, inductee to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (2007)
- Joe Hickerson (b. 1935), American noted folk singer and songleader
- John Dewey Hickerson (1898-1989), American diplomat, United States Ambassador to Finland (1955) and United States Ambassador to the Philippines (1960 to 1961)
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
The Hickerson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hickerson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 December 2013 at 11:08.
on orders of $85 or more