Hawn History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
A multitude of prestigious family names, such as the surname Hawn, were formed in the lands which became the modern state of Germany, a place renowned for its beauty, industry, and economic power. However, in the medieval era, Germany was fragmented and inhabited by numerous Barbarian tribes, who fought amongst themselves for control of the land. At this time, the surname Hawn emerged throughout the German territories.
Early Origins of the Hawn family
The surname Hawn was first found in Germany, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name Hann became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. Hans den alten Hanne and his son Hans den junge Hanne were recorded in the "Zeirschrift fur deutsche Geschicte des Oberrheins" in the year 1386. In 1498, Bernhardus Hani appears in the Wurttembergische Regesten" as a citizen of Grosseislingen.
Important Dates for the Hawn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hawn research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1752, 1839, 1921, 1792, 1863, 1843, 1805 and 1880 are included under the topic Early Hawn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hawn Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name Hawn include Hann, Hanne, Hänn, Hahn, Hahne, Hahnn, Hahnne, Haann, Haanne, Haan, Haane, Hahner, Hahnen, Hahns, Hahnlen, Hähnel, Hannel, Hanl, Hanner, Hanns, Haun, Haunn, Hawn, Honn, Honnel, Honner, Hohn, Hohne, Haen and many more.
Early Notables of the Hawn family (pre 1700)
Notables of the time with the name Hawn included Julius Hann (1839-1921) Austrian meteorologist and climatologist whose international reputation was built on his studies of atmospheric dynamics, thermodynamics, cyclones, climatology and the "atmospheric pulse"; August Hahn (1792-1863) German divine who served...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hawn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hawn migration to the United States
In the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Hawn
Hawn Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Hawn, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751 
Hawn migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hawn Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Christian Hawn U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1784 
- Mr. Henry Hawn U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1784 
- Mr. Jacob Hawn U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1784 
- Mr. John Hawn U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1784 
- Mr. Hermanus Hawn U.E., "John" who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1786 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X