on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch
From the historical and enchanting region of Scotland
emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Hamel family. Originally, the Scottish people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames
were adopted in Scotland
is extremely interesting. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. Often they adopted names that were derived from nicknames. Nickname
surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The name Hamel is a nickname
type of surname Anglicized from the Gaelic name O'hAdhmaill, which means active.
The surname Hamel was first found in Normandy
, where Robert, Ranulph, Turstan and Savaric Hamel were recorded in 1180. From Normandy
they branched to England
in the wake of the Conquest. Shortly after their arrival in England
members of the family moved to Scotland
, and throughout the following centuries branches of this family were to remain in France as well as in their new homelands.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hamill, Hammill, Hamil, Hommill, Homill, Homil, Hammel, Hammell and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hamel research. Another 342 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1143, 1194, 1206, 1214, 1379, 1418, and 1497 are included under the topic Early Hamel History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Hamel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Hamel family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 125 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hamel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christopher Hamel settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1764
- Henry Jacob and Jon Hamel settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1764 and 1866
- Christopher Hamel also settled in Charles Town in 1764
Hamel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Louis Francois Hamel, who landed in Texas in 1835
- Jacob Hamel, aged 22, landed in Missouri in 1847
- Juan Hamel, aged 40, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1849
- Seligmann Hamel, aged 28, arrived in New York, NY in 1849
- Mary Du Hamel, who arrived in Utah in 1851 with her children John, Julia, and Leah
Hamel Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Charles, François, and Jean Hamel, who arrived in Quebec in 1656 from Normandy
- Catherine Lemaistre Hamel, who settled in Quebec in 1662
Hamel Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Pierre Hamel, aged 31, landed in St Pierre and Miquelon in 1767
Hamel Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- J. Hamel arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "William Hyde" in 1849
- Matilda Hamel, aged 24, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Royal Albert"
- Robert S. Hamel, American Republican politician, Candidate for Rhode Island State House of Representatives 68th District, 2002
- Robert F. Hamel, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Hampshire, 1964
- Kristen Hamel, American politician, Workers World Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives 1st District, 1996
- Kenneth A. Hamel, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1956, 1960
- Henry C. Hamel, American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Cabano, 1916
- George Hamel, American Democrat politician, Member of Maine State House of Representatives from Androscoggin County (1st), 1931-32
- Brian N. Hamel, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Maine 2nd District, 2004
- Barbara J. Hamel, American politician, Workers World Candidate for Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1996
- Alfred J. Hamel, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 11th District, 1984, 1986, 1988
- Rock Hamel, American Republican politician, Candidate for New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Manchester 13th Ward, 1938
- Gunderman and Wullenjohn Cousins with Hampel (also Hamel) and Noll Families by Barbara Chandler Spray.
- Hammel-Laufer Families, 1600's to 1978 by Martha Mae Schmidt.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Hamel Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hamel Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 November 2015 at 10:22.
on orders of $85 or more