Guys History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Guys is one of the names that was brought to England in the wave of migration following the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Guys family lived in Gloucestershire. The name, however, refers to the district of Guise in France, where the family was resident prior to the Norman Conquest of England in 1066.  Aspley Guise is a village and civil parish located in central Bedfordshire.
"Guy of Warwick, hero of romance, is almost wholly a creature of fiction. Dugdale and other historians of Warwickshire literally accepted as historical the series of legends respecting him, to which literary shape seems to have been first given by an Anglo-Norman poet of the twelfth century." 
Early Origins of the Guys family
The surname Guys was first found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor of Elmore in that shire, and were descended from Sir William Gyse who attended Duke William in his Conquest of England at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
It is believed that Sir William first held the manor of Highnam from Gloucester Abbey but by the later marriage of Anselm Gyse to Magotta de Burgh (Burke,) daughter of the Earl of Kent, he acquired the Lordship of both Highnam and Elmore in Gloucestershire.
Some of the first records in various early rolls include: Robert de Guuis who was listed in the Pipe Rolls for Gloucestershire in 1207; and John de Gyse in the Pipe Rolls for Berskhire in 1230. 
The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 list Anselm de Gyse in Huntingdonshire. John de Gyse was listed in Bedfordshire, 20 Edward I (during the twentieth year of King Edward I's reign) and the same source notes that William de Gyse was listed in Norfolk at that time. 
Early History of the Guys family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Guys research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1450, 1632, 1705, 1731, 1629, 1621, 1624, 1644, 1724, 1631, 1710, 1631, 1653, 1683, 1617, 1670, 1654, 1695, 1678, 1732, 1701, 1769, 1765, 1773, 1701 and are included under the topic Early Guys History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Guys Spelling Variations
Before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Sound was what guided spelling in the Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Guys family name include Gyse, Guise, Guys, Guy, Gysse, Gyss, Gise, Gwyse and many more.
Early Notables of the Guys family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was John Guy (died 1629?), an English merchant adventurer from Bristol, colonist and politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1621 to 1624, the first Proprietary Governor of Newfoundland who led the first attempt to establish a colony on the island
Thomas Guy (1644-1724) a British bookseller, founder of Guy's Hospital, London. Henry Guy (1631-1710), was a politician, only son of Henry Guy by Elizabeth, daughter of Francis Wethered of Ashlyns, Great Berkhampstead,was born in that parish on 16 June 1631.
William Guise (Guilelmus Guisius) (c.1653-1683), was an English Orientalist, the son of John...
Migration of the Guys family to Ireland
Some of the Guys family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Migration of the Guys family
To escape the political and religious chaos of this era, thousands of English families began to migrate to the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. The passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe; however, those who made the voyage safely were encountered opportunities that were not available to them in their homeland. Many of the families that reached the New World at this time went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. Research into various historical records has revealed some of first members of the Guys family to immigrate North America: Nicholas, Jane and daughter Mary Guy who settled in New England in 1638; Robert Guy settled in Virginia in 1619; a year before the "Mayflower".
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Quo honestior eo tutior
Motto Translation: The more reputable the safer