on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The origin of the distinguished Gustafson family can be traced to the historic Scandinavian country of Sweden. The surname Gustafson is derived from the Old Norse personal name Gustav. This name is composed of the tribal name Gaut and the word staf, which means staff or cudgel. The tribal name is thought by experts to be identical with that of the Geats, the Scandinavian tribe to which Beowulf belonged, and it is also thought to be akin to that of the Goths. Thus, the name Gustav literally means staff of the Geats or staff of the Goths. The suffix -sen and its variants are translatable as son of.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gustafson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adolph Fredric Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Constantin Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Helena Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Jonas Gustafson, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Christian Gustafson, aged 30, landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1850
Gustafson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agnes Gustafson, aged 12, who landed in America from Sweden, in 1901
- Adolf Gustafson, aged 21, who settled in America from Gothenburg, in 1901
- Abraham Theodor Gustafson, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Sweden, in 1903
- Gustaf Manfred Gustafson, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1903
- Swan John Gustafson, who landed in California in 1903
- Wallace Gustafson, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 1960
- Daniel Gustafson, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Plymouth, Minnesota, 2000
- Daniel Gustafson, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Texas State House of Representatives 48th District, 1996
- Charles Gustafson, American politician, Socialist Labor Candidate for Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1900
- Carl H. Gustafson, American politician, Member of Nebraska State House of Representatives, 1911-13
- Ardie G. Gustafson, American politician, Mayor of Lewiston, Idaho, 1951
- Anton R. Gustafson, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Chesterton, Indiana, 1921-29
- A. E. Gustafson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1944
- Daniel Gustafson, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 2012
- Donald Gustafson, American Republican politician, Chair of Mackinac County Republican Party, 2007
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Gustafson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gustafson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 February 2016 at 09:21.
on orders of $85 or more