on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Swedish Gustafson family come from? What is the Swedish Gustafson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gustafson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gustafson family history?The origin of the distinguished Gustafson family can be traced to the historic Scandinavian country of Sweden. The surname Gustafson is derived from the Old Norse personal name Gustav. This name is composed of the tribal name Gaut and the word staf, which means staff or cudgel. The tribal name is thought by experts to be identical with that of the Geats, the Scandinavian tribe to which Beowulf belonged, and it is also thought to be akin to that of the Goths. Thus, the name Gustav literally means staff of the Geats or staff of the Goths. The suffix -sen and its variants are translatable as son of.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gustafson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adolph Fredric Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Constantin Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Helena Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Jonas Gustafson, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Christian Gustafson, aged 30, landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1850
Gustafson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agnes Gustafson, aged 12, who landed in America from Sweden, in 1901
- Adolf Gustafson, aged 21, who settled in America from Gothenburg, in 1901
- Abraham Theodor Gustafson, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Sweden, in 1903
- Gustaf Manfred Gustafson, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1903
- Swan John Gustafson, who landed in California in 1903
- Nancy Gustafson (b. 1956), American opera singer
- Kathryn Gustafson (b. 1951), American landscape architect
- Derek Gustafson (b. 1979), American professional ice hockey goaltender
- Bob Gustafson (b. 1920), American cartoonist, recipient of the National Cartoonist Society Comic Book Award for 1962 and 1982
- Mr. John Gustafson (d. 1914), Swedish Third Class Passenger from Gothenburg, Sweden who was traveling aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking on May 29th 1914
- Gabriel Adolf Gustafson (1853-1915), Swedish archaeologist
- Barry Selwyn Gustafson (b. 1938), New Zealand political scientist and historian
- Ralph Barker Gustafson (1909-1995), Canadian poet
- Leonard Joe Gustafson (b. 1933), Canadian Senator
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
The Gustafson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gustafson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 September 2015 at 10:32.
on orders of $85 or more