on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The origin of the distinguished Gustafson family can be traced to the historic Scandinavian country of Sweden. The surname Gustafson is derived from the Old Norse personal name
Gustav. This name is composed of the tribal name Gaut and the word staf, which means staff or cudgel. The tribal name is thought by experts to be identical with that of the Geats, the Scandinavian tribe to which Beowulf belonged, and it is also thought to be akin to that of the Goths. Thus, the name Gustav literally means staff of the Geats or staff of the Goths. The suffix -sen and its variants are translatable as son of.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gustafson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adolph Fredric Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Constantin Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Helena Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Jonas Gustafson, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Christian Gustafson, aged 30, landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1850
Gustafson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agnes Gustafson, aged 12, who landed in America from Sweden, in 1901
- Adolf Gustafson, aged 21, who settled in America from Gothenburg, in 1901
- Abraham Theodor Gustafson, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Sweden, in 1903
- Gustaf Manfred Gustafson, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1903
- Swan John Gustafson, who landed in California in 1903
- Wallace Gustafson, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 1960
- Daniel Gustafson, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Plymouth, Minnesota, 2000
- Daniel Gustafson, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Texas State House of Representatives 48th District, 1996
- Charles Gustafson, American politician, Socialist Labor Candidate for Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1900
- Carl H. Gustafson, American politician, Member of Nebraska State House of Representatives, 1911-13
- Ardie G. Gustafson, American politician, Mayor of Lewiston, Idaho, 1951
- Anton R. Gustafson, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Chesterton, Indiana, 1921-29
- A. E. Gustafson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1944
- Daniel Gustafson, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 2012
- Donald Gustafson, American Republican politician, Chair of Mackinac County Republican Party, 2007
Gustafson Historic Events
- Mr. John Gustafson, Swedish Third Class Passenger from Gothenburg, Sweden who was traveling aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking on May 29th 1914
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Gustafson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gustafson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 February 2016 at 09:21.
on orders of $85 or more