on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Swedish Gustafson family come from? What is the Swedish Gustafson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gustafson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gustafson family history?The origin of the distinguished Gustafson family can be traced to the historic Scandinavian country of Sweden. The surname Gustafson is derived from the Old Norse personal name Gustav. This name is composed of the tribal name Gaut and the word staf, which means staff or cudgel. The tribal name is thought by experts to be identical with that of the Geats, the Scandinavian tribe to which Beowulf belonged, and it is also thought to be akin to that of the Goths. Thus, the name Gustav literally means staff of the Geats or staff of the Goths. The suffix -sen and its variants are translatable as son of.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gustafson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adolph Fredric Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Constantin Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Helena Gustafson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Jonas Gustafson, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Christian Gustafson, aged 30, landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1850
Gustafson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agnes Gustafson, aged 12, who landed in America from Sweden, in 1901
- Adolf Gustafson, aged 21, who settled in America from Gothenburg, in 1901
- Abraham Theodor Gustafson, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Sweden, in 1903
- Gustaf Manfred Gustafson, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1903
- Swan John Gustafson, who landed in California in 1903
- Bob Gustafson (b. 1920), American cartoonist, recipient of the National Cartoonist Society Comic Book Award for 1962 and 1982
- Derek Gustafson (b. 1979), American professional ice hockey goaltender
- Kathryn Gustafson (b. 1951), American landscape architect
- Nancy Gustafson (b. 1956), American opera singer
- Gabriel Adolf Gustafson (1853-1915), Swedish archaeologist
- Mr. John Gustafson (d. 1914), Swedish Third Class Passenger from Gothenburg, Sweden who was traveling aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking on May 29th 1914
- Leonard Joe Gustafson (b. 1933), Canadian Senator
- Ralph Barker Gustafson (1909-1995), Canadian poet
- Barry Selwyn Gustafson (b. 1938), New Zealand political scientist and historian
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Gustafson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gustafson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 December 2014 at 16:49.
on orders of $85 or more