on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the French Gravelle family come from? What is the French Gravelle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gravelle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gravelle family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Graval, Gravalle, Gravel, Gravell, Gravelle, Graville, Gravile, Gravil and many more.
First found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where they held a family seat at Graval near Portmort at Seine-Inférieure in the arrondissement of Neufchâtel in the region of Flamets-Frétils. They later branched to Fourneau in Normandy, and became one of the eminent aristocratic families of that dukedom.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gravelle research. Another 138 words(10 lines of text) covering the year 1066 is included under the topic Early Gravelle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gravelle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gravelle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Gravelle, who arrived in America in 1792
Gravelle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- R. L. Gravelle landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- R. L. Gravelle, who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- R. L. Gravelle settled in Philadelphia in 1806
- Gordon Carr Gravelle (b. 1949), former American NFL football offensive tackle
- Emile Gravelle (1855-1920), French individualist anarchist and naturist activist, writer and painter
- Claude Gravelle (b. 1949), Canadian politician
- Michael Gravelle (b. 1949), Canadian politician, Minister of Northern Development, Mines and Forestry
- Israel Jean Orval "Orville" Gravelle (1927-1997), Canadian ice hockey player
- Joseph Gerard Leo Gravelle (b. 1925), Canadian retired professional ice hockey player
- Mr. William Gravelle, Canadian resident from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Gravelle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gravelle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:21.
on orders of $85 or more