on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the French Gravelle family come from? What is the French Gravelle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gravelle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gravelle family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Graval, Gravalle, Gravel, Gravell, Gravelle, Graville, Gravile, Gravil and many more.
First found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where they held a family seat at Graval near Portmort at Seine-Inférieure in the arrondissement of Neufchâtel in the region of Flamets-Frétils. They later branched to Fourneau in Normandy, and became one of the eminent aristocratic families of that dukedom.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gravelle research. Another 138 words (10 lines of text) covering the year 1066 is included under the topic Early Gravelle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gravelle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gravelle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Gravelle, who arrived in America in 1792
Gravelle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- R. L. Gravelle landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- R. L. Gravelle, who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- R. L. Gravelle settled in Philadelphia in 1806
- Gordon Carr Gravelle (b. 1949), former American NFL football offensive tackle
- Robert Gravelle, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1964
- Emile Gravelle (1855-1920), French individualist anarchist and naturist activist, writer and painter
- Mr. William Gravelle, Canadian resident from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Joseph Gerard Leo Gravelle (b. 1925), Canadian retired professional ice hockey player
- Israel Jean Orval "Orville" Gravelle (1927-1997), Canadian ice hockey player
- Michael Gravelle (b. 1949), Canadian politician, Minister of Northern Development, Mines and Forestry
- Claude Gravelle (b. 1949), Canadian politician
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Gravelle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gravelle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:21.
on orders of $85 or more