on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Gott family come from? What is the German Gott family crest and coat of arms? When did the Gott family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Gott family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gotte, Gott, Godt, Goth, Gothe, Gode, Godde, Gohde, Gode, Gade, Gadde and many more.
First found in Bavaria, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. Like many surnames, the name Gott began as a personal name. Gott was a short form of any of several German personal names which began with that word, which means "good" or "God."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gott research. Another 146 words(10 lines of text) covering the year 1745 is included under the topic Early Gott History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Gott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gott Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Charles Gott, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1628
- Henry Gott, who landed in Maryland in 1651
- Robert Gott, who arrived in Maryland in 1669
Gott Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Samuel Gott, who landed in New England in 1721
- Georg Gott, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754
Gott Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Fr Gott, aged 45, landed in America in 1837
- A Henry Gott, who arrived in Cincinnati, Oh in 1869-1870
- Henry A Gott, who arrived in Ohio in 1869
Gott Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Gott, aged 24, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dallam Tower" in 1875
- First Lieutenant Donald J Gott, American officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
- Jim Gott (b. 1959), former professional baseball player
- Karel Gott (b. 1939), successful and widely-known Czech singer
- Richard Willoughby Gott (b. 1938), British journalist and historian
- J Richard Gott, professor of astrophysical sciences at Princeton University
- Lieutenant-General William Henry Ewart Gott (1897-1942), British General Officer Commanding XIII Corps (1942)
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
The Gott Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gott Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 December 2011 at 23:27.
on orders of $85 or more