on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: French
The surname Gans was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France, where the family has held a family seat
since early times.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gand, Gans, Gant, Gond, Gons, Gont, Gande, Gonde, Gandes, Gondes, Gante, Gonte, Gantes, Gontes, de Gand and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gans research. Another 343 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1258, 1307, 1385, 1420, 1440, 1500, 1612 and 1669 are included under the topic Early Gans History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Gans Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gans Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hendrich Gans, who came to Philadelphia in 1739
- Hendrich Gans, aged 34, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1739
- Frantz Henrich Gans, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1747
- Thomas Gans, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Johann Gans, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
Gans Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Philip Gans, who landed in New York in 1830
- Balzee Gans, who arrived in New York in 1830
- Georg Friedrich Gans, who landed in America in 1834
- Jacob Gans, who landed in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1850
- L Gans, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Sigmund J. Gans, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Philadelphia County, 1909-10
- Maria L. Gans, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Moundsville, West Virginia, 1869-87
- Julius J. Gans (1896-1973), American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly, 1936-37, 1939-54
- Edward M. Gans, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Norwalk; elected 1932
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
The Gans Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Gans Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 October 2015 at 11:43.
on orders of $85 or more