Early Origins of the Freboddie family
The surname Freboddie was first found in Sussex
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire seated at East Grinstead.
Early History of the Freboddie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Freboddie research.Another 409 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1437, 1480, 1510, 1600, 1474, 1076, 1084, 1135, 1194, 1406, 1562, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Freboddie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Freboddie Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Freboddie has undergone many spelling variations
, including Freebody, Frebody, Frebodie, Freboddie, Freeboddie, Freboddy and many more.
Early Notables of the Freboddie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Freboddie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Freboddie family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the unstable social climate in England
of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Freboddie were among those contributors: Paule Freebody, who came to Virginia in 1665; Charles Freebody, who arrived at Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1822; and Clarkson "Simon".