The name Fouldes is part of the ancient legacy of the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. It is a product of when the family lived in the region beside an enclosed pen for animals. In particular the surname Fouldes can be in Bolton in the county of Lancashire
. The surname Fouldes may also be an occupational
name for someone who looked after sheep.
Early Origins of the Fouldes family
The surname Fouldes was first found in Lancashire
where they held a family seat
from very early times.
Early History of the Fouldes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fouldes research.Another 223 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 127 and 1273 are included under the topic Early Fouldes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fouldes Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred
years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Fouldes has been spelled many different ways, including Foulds, Faulds, Fowlds, Foulls, Faulls, Fowldes and many more.
Early Notables of the Fouldes family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Fouldes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Fouldes family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Fouldess to arrive in North America: Joseph Foulds purchased land in Georgia in 1735; Albion, Alexander, Henry, James, and William Foulds settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1834 and 1866..