100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: French, German, Italian
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fortin, Forttin, Fortain, Forttain, Fortein, Forttein, Fortaing, Forttaing, Fortaine, Forttaine, Forting, Fortting, Forteins, Fortteins, Fortains, Forttains, Phortin, Phorttin, Phortain, Phorttain, Phortein, Phorttein, Phortaing, Phorttaing, Phortaine, Phorttaine, Phorting, Phortting, Phorteins, Phortteins, Phortains and many more.
First found in Orléanais, where they held a family seat at De Fortan, a village in the department of Loire, in the arrondisement of Vendome.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fortin research. Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1590, 1621, and 1817 are included under the topic Early Fortin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Fortin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fortin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- François Fortin, of the branch of the family in Brittany, who emigrated to New France in 1617
- Julien Fortin dit Bellefontaine, of Maine arrived in New France in 1649
- Louis Fortin, who arrived from Normandy in New France in 1672
- Robert Fortin, who landed in Maryland in 1675
Fortin Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Marin Fortin, of the branch of the family in Maine, who settled in New France in 1719
- Anne Fortin, who came to Boston in 1763
- Julien Fortin, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1763
Fortin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Fortin aged 25, who settled in New York in 1822
- Samuel Fortin, who settled in Philadelphia in 1842
- F. Fortin, who settled in San Francisco in 1853
- Robert Fortin, who settled in Philadelphia in 1871
- Desiree Fortin, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1895
Fortin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Emelie Fortin, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1907
- Gustave Fortin, aged 42, who settled in America from Paris, France, in 1911
- Arturo Fortin, aged 18, who landed in America from Colwyn Bay, North Wales, in 1913
- Baptiste Fortin, aged 20, who emigrated to America, in 1918
- Damion T. Fortin, aged 51, who emigrated to the United States, in 1918
Fortin Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Barbe Fortin, who was married to Pierre Gagnon in Quebec in 1669
Fortin Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Louis Fortin, who married Anne Bossé in Quebec in 1714
Fortin Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Alfred Fortin, aged 62, who emigrated to Frazerville, Canada, in 1911
- George Fortin, aged 29, who settled in St. John's, Quebec, in 1913
- J. E. Fortin, aged 45, who settled in Quebec, Canada, in 1913
- Joseph Fortin, aged 47, who settled in Outremont, Canada, in 1913
- Jean Fortin, American writer
- Major-General Louis-Alexandre-Fernand Fortin (1889-1949), French General in World War II
- André "Dédé" Fortin (1962-2000), Canadian leader and singer of the Québec band Les Colocs and an important figure in the history of Quebec music
- André-Gilles Fortin (1943-1977), Canadian politician in the 1970s
- Jean-Francois Fortin (b. 1979), Canadian professional NHL hockey player from Laval, Quebec
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Fortin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fortin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 December 2015 at 10:07.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!