100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Fogel is a name that originated in Thuringia, which is located between Hessen and Lower Saxony
in the west and Saxony
in the east. During the 2nd and 3rd centuries, Thuringia was a kingdom of the Germanic Hermunderen, but the land was conquered by the Franks and the Saxons
in the mid-6th century. Thuringia was brought under the rule of Franconian counts by Charles Martel and Charlemagne
founded the Thuringian Mark in 804 as a defensive region against the Slavs. In the late 15th century, Thuringia was divided into four main principalities: Sachsen-Weimar, Sachsen-Altenburg, Sachsen-Coburg, and Sachsen-Meiningen. Thuringia retained its independent status until it became a part of the German Empire after the Unification of 1871.
The surname Fogel was first found in Thuringia, in the south-eastern part of Saxony
, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal
System and the nation. The family can be traced as far back as the year 1544, when Heinrich Vogel the Elder founded a branch of the family in the Duchy of Gotha.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vogel, Voegel, Vogele, Voegele, Voegelein, Vagel (northern Germany), Vogeler, Vogler, Voegler, Voegeler, Vogl (Austria), Vageler (northern Germany), Fogel, Fogeler, Vakel, Vogal, Vogels, Vogall and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fogel research. Another 317 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1749, 1781, 1790, 1814, and 1831 are included under the topic Early Fogel History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Fogel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fogel Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Susan Fogel, who arrived in Maryland in 1650
Fogel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Fogel, who landed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1834
- H Fogel, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County Pennsylvania in 1844
- John Fogel, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1847
- Egnus Fogel, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1878
- Ignatx Fogel, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1878
- Bryan Fogel, American playwright, author, producer and film director
- Aaron Fogel (b. 1947), American poet
- Horace Fogel (1861-1928), American Major League Baseball manager
- Jeremy Don Fogel (b. 1949), American jurist, Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California (1998-)
- Dr. Lawrence J. Fogel (1928-2007), American pioneer in evolutionary computation and human factors analysis
- Robert William Fogel (1926-2013), American economic historian and scientist, co-recipient of the 1993 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences
- Herbert A. Fogel, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1972
- Eudice Fogel, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1996
- Silvio Fogel (1949-2016), Argentine football player
- Boris Alexandrovich Fogel (1872-1961), Russian and Soviet painter and art educator
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Fogel Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Fogel Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 March 2016 at 10:01.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!