Ffounteyn History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Ffounteyn is one of the many new names that came to England following the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Ffounteyn family lived near a spring or well which was in turn derived from the Old French word fontane, which means spring or well. Ffounteyn is a topographic surname, which is a type of surname that was given to a person who resided near a landmark such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree.
John Pherd (died 1225), Bishop of Ely, properly called John of Fountains, was a Cistercian monk of Fountains, and was chosen ninth abbot of his house in December 1211. 
Early Origins of the Ffounteyn family
The surname Ffounteyn was first found in Norfolk at Harford, a parish, in the union of Swaffham, hundred of South Greenhoe.
"Narford Hall was built by Sir Andrew Fountaine, vice-chamberlain to Queen Caroline (consort of George II.), and the companion of Pope, Swift, and their literary society; he enriched the mansion with a collection of antiquities, paintings, and curiosities, which has been considerably increased by the present proprietor. In the reign of Edward III. Sir Thomas de Narford obtained for it a market and two fairs, long since fallen into disuse." 
Early History of the Ffounteyn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ffounteyn research. Another 77 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1430, 1676, 1753, 1600, 1671, 1659, 1660, 1554, 1591, 1554, 1572, 1608, 1460, 1471 and 1471 are included under the topic Early Ffounteyn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ffounteyn Spelling Variations
Anglo-Norman names are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. When the Normans became the ruling people of England in the 11th century, they introduced a new language into a society where the main languages of Old and later Middle English had no definite spelling rules. These languages were more often spoken than written, so they blended freely with one another. Contributing to this mixing of tongues was the fact that medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, ensuring that a person's name would appear differently in nearly every document in which it was recorded. The name has been spelled Fountaine, Fountain, Fountayne, Fontain, Fontibus, Ffountain, Ffounteyn, Ffunteyn and many more.
Early Notables of the Ffounteyn family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Sir Andrew Fountaine (1676-1753), an English antiquarian, art collector and amateur architect. He was the eldest son of Andrew Fountaine, M.P., of Narford, Norfolk. 
John Fountaine (1600-1671), the English jurist, was Commissioner of the great seal of England from (1659 to 1660). He was the son of Arthur Fountaine of Dalling, Norfolk. 
Arthur Faunt, in religion Laurence Arthur (1554-1591), was an English Jesuit, born in...
Another 74 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ffounteyn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ffounteyn family
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that plagued their homeland made the frontiers of the New World an attractive prospect. Thousands migrated, aboard cramped disease-ridden ships. They arrived sick, poor, and hungry, but were welcomed in many cases with far greater opportunity than at home in England. Many of these hardy settlers went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Among early immigrants bearing the name Ffounteyn or a variant listed above were: Nicholas Fountain who settled in Maryland in 1661; Lewis Fountain settled in Maryland in 1775; Edward Fountaine settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1635.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Vix ea nostra voco
Motto Translation: I scarce call these things our own.
- Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.