Fewer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Fewer derives from the German word "feuer" meaning "fire," and was probably an occupational name for someone who worked with fire such as a smith, a fire lighter, or a person who took care of the heating a household.
Early Origins of the Fewer family
The surname Fewer was first found in Austria, where the family gained a significant reputation for its contributions to the emerging mediaeval society. The name became prominent as many branches of the family founded separate houses and acquired estates in various regions, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. Individual bearers of the name first mentioned in ancient chronicles include Pertholt der Feurer in the Sonnenberg monastery around 1350.
Important Dates for the Fewer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fewer research. Another 205 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1297 and 1702 are included under the topic Early Fewer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fewer Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name Fewer include Feuer, Feuerer, Feirer, Feierle, Feuerre, Fuer, Fewer, Fuere and many more.
Early Notables of the Fewer family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Fewer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Fewer migration to the United States
After the First World War, Austria became a republic. The Treaty of Versailles broke up the empire in 1919 and many of the Sudeten Germans were incorporated into the new nation of Czechoslovakia. In the 20th century, many Austrians migrated to other parts of Germany or Europe, as well as to North America. In the United States, the majority of settlers landed in Philadelphia, and moved on to Ohio, Texas, Illinois, California, New York, and Maryland. Many German settlers also migrated to Canada, particularly Ontario and the Prairies. Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Fewer were
Fewer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Francis Fewer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Fewer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Fewer, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1870 
Contemporary Notables of the name Fewer (post 1700)
Historic Events for the Fewer family
- Mr. Thomas Fewer (1875-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the explosion 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Halifax Explosion Book of Remembrance | Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. (Retrieved 2014, June 23) . Retrieved from https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/what-see-do/halifax-explosion/halifax-explosion-book-remembrance