100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Skelton family come from? What is the Scottish Skelton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Skelton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Skelton family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Skelton, Skeldon and others.
First found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Skelton, before the Norman Conquest and arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D. By the 11th century they had acquired Armathwaite Castle in that same shire, and later branched to Branthwaite and High House in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Skelton research. Another 165 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1460, 1529, 1641, 1696, 1672, 1674, 1691 and 1890 are included under the topic Early Skelton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 83 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Skelton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Skelton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Skelton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Samuel Skelton settled in Salem Massachusetts with Susannah in 1629
- Samuel Skelton, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1629
- Benjamin Skelton, who arrived in Salem, Massachusetts in 1639
- Nathaniel Skelton, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1648
- Richard Skelton, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
Skelton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Skelton, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1716
- Ralph Skelton arrived in Jamaica in 1775
Skelton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Skelton, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Henry Skelton, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1867
- William Skelton, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1878
- Frank Skelton, who landed in Hancock County, Miss in 1888
Skelton Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Thomas, Anne, and John Skelton who arrived in Fort Cumberland Nova Scotia in 1774
- Ann Skelton, aged 18, landed in Fort Cumberland, Nova Scotia in 1774
- John Skelton, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1774
- Jane Skelton, aged 36, landed in Fort Cumberland, Nova Scotia in 1775
- John and Jane Skelton arrived in Annapolis Nova Scotia in 1775
Skelton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Jacob Skelton, English convict from Gloucester, who was transported aboard the "Adamant" on March 16, 1821, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- John Skelton, English convict from Gloucester, who was transported aboard the "Adamant" on March 16, 1821, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- John Skelton, English convict from Lancaster, who was transported aboard the "Agincourt" on July 6, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Skelton, aged 23, a groom, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
Skelton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Skelton landed in Bay of Islands, New Zealand in 1836
- William Skelton landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1841 aboard the ship Lady Nugent
- Thomas Skelton arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- William Skelton, aged 28, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maori" in 1864
- Isaac Newton "Ike" Skelton IV (1931-2013), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1977-2011)
- Charles Skelton (1806-1879), American Democratic Party politician
- Richard Bernard "Red" Skelton (1913-1997), American comedian, top radio and television star from 1937 to 1971, eponym of the Red Skelton Bridge and the Red Skelton Performing Arts Center, he received an Lifetime Achievement Award from the Screen Actors Guild in 1987
- Mr. Frederick Skelton (d. 1915), Canadian 3rd Class passenger from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- Aaron Skelton (b. 1974), English former professional footballer
- Walter Peden Joyce Skelton MBE (1883-1979), Australian politician Member for Newcastle, New South Wales (1922-1927)
- Gavin Richard Skelton (b. 1981), English footballer
- Lt. Reginald W. Skelton, British Royal Navy chief engineer of the expedition's ship RRS Discovery, eponym of Skelton Inlet and Skelton Glacier, Antarctica
- Nicholas David "Nick" Skelton OBE (b. 1957), English five-time gold, seven-time silver and bronze medalist equestrian
- Roy Skelton (b. 1932), British actor
- Nine Generations of the Skelton Family by Zenobia Bell Callahan.
- Rogers-Skelton and Allied Families by Helen Rogers Skelton.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
The Skelton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Skelton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 June 2015 at 03:20.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!