Morèllo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the Morèllo name are uncertain, but most scholars seems to agree that the name likely comes from the Latin term "maurus," used to describe either a Moor, or anyone of a markedly dark complexion. There have also been place names such as Morella, a town in the Spanish province of Casteldon de la Plana, and Morelli, Calabria, and the Morèllo surname may have been taken on from the name of the place whence its original bearer hailed. This name can be found in forms with the typical Italian surname endings of "i" and "o," the former being characteristic of northern Italy, the latter, more typical in the South.
Early Origins of the Morèllo family
The surname Morèllo was first found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), where a family of this name has resided since the 14th century.
Early History of the Morèllo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Morèllo research. Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1571, 1608, 1690, 1747, 1745, 1819 and 1778 are included under the topic Early Morèllo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Morèllo Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations. The recorded spellings of Morèllo include Morelli, Morèlli, Morello, Morèllo, Morella and many more.
Early Notables of the Morèllo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Lazzaro Morelli (1608-1690), an Italian sculptor of the Baroque period; Ferdinando Morello of the Morello di Caltanissetta e di Messina family, who acquired the barony of Trabonello in 1747; James Morelli (1745-1819), an...
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Morèllo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Morèllo migration to the United States +
Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Morèllo were
Morèllo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Felix Morello, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803 
- I C Morello, aged 25, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1827 
- James Morello, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1856 
Contemporary Notables of the name Morèllo (post 1700) +
- Steven J. Morello, American lawyer who served as General Counsel of the Army from 2001 to 2004
- Mary Morello (b. 1924), American activist who founded the anti-censorship group Parents For Rock And Rap in 1987
- Joseph Albert "Joe" Morello (1928-2011), American jazz drummer, best known for his work with The Dave Brubeck Quartet
- Thomas Baptiste "Tom" Morello (b. 1964), Grammy Award winning American guitarist
- Giuseppe Morello (b. 1985), Swiss-Italian footballer
- Enrico Morello (b. 1977), Italian professional football player
- Dario Morello (b. 1968), retired Italian professional football player
- Martín Morello (b. 1983), Argentine footballer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)