Morèlli History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the Morèlli name are uncertain, but most scholars seems to agree that the name likely comes from the Latin term "maurus," used to describe either a Moor, or anyone of a markedly dark complexion. There have also been place names such as Morella, a town in the Spanish province of Casteldon de la Plana, and Morelli, Calabria, and the Morèlli surname may have been taken on from the name of the place whence its original bearer hailed. This name can be found in forms with the typical Italian surname endings of "i" and "o," the former being characteristic of northern Italy, the latter, more typical in the South.
Early Origins of the Morèlli family
The surname Morèlli was first found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), where a family of this name has resided since the 14th century.
Important Dates for the Morèlli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Morèlli research. Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1571, 1608, 1690, 1747, 1745, 1819 and 1778 are included under the topic Early Morèlli History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Morèlli Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Morèlli include Morelli, Morèlli, Morello, Morèllo, Morella and many more.
Early Notables of the Morèlli family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Lazzaro Morelli (1608-1690), an Italian sculptor of the Baroque period; Ferdinando Morello of the Morello di Caltanissetta e di Messina family, who acquired the barony of Trabonello in 1747; James Morelli (1745-1819), an...
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Morèlli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Morèlli migration to the United States
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Morèlli:
Morèlli Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- P Morelli, aged 24, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1836 
- Angelo Morelli, aged 25, who settled in America, in 1892
- Alessandro Morelli, aged 61, who immigrated to the United States from Alifi, Italy, in 1893
Morèlli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alberino Morelli, aged 19, who settled in America from Salerno, Italy, in 1912
- Adelina Morelli, aged 18, who landed in America from S. Guilano, Italy, in 1912
- Adolfo Morelli, aged 27, who immigrated to the United States from Fondagno, Italy, in 1913
- Agostino Morelli, aged 29, who landed in America from Cartana, Italy, in 1914
- Alessandra Morelli, aged 39, who landed in America from Minturno, Italy, in 1920
Contemporary Notables of the name Morèlli (post 1700)
- Jack Morelli (b. 1962), American comic book letterer and author
- Anthony Michael Morelli (b. 1985), American football quarterback
- Giampaolo Morelli (b. 1974), Italian actor, director, and screenwriter
- Lazzaro Morelli (1608-1690), Italian sculptor of the Baroque period
- Cosimo Morelli (1732-1812), Italian architect
- Ambrogio Morelli (1905-2000), Italian professional road bicycle racer
- Rina Morelli (1908-1976), Italian film actress
- Domenico Morelli (1823-1901), Italian painter, one of the most important Neapolitan artists of the 19th century
- Giovanni Morelli (1816-1891), Italian art critic
- Bernie Morelli (1943-2014), Canadian politician, City Councillor in Hamilton, Ontario (1991-2014)
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Historic Events for the Morèlli family
- Mr. Paolo Morelli (1885-1914), Italian Third Class Passenger from Turin, Italy who survived the sinking on the Empress of Ireland 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Commemoration Empress of Ireland 2014. (Retrieved 2014, June 17) . Retrieved from http://www.empress2014.ca/seclangen/listepsc1.html