100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Today's generation of the Lennox family inherits a name that was first used by the Scottish tribe known as the Picts
. The first family to use the name Lennox lived in the district of Lennox
, in the county of Dunbarton.
The surname Lennox
was first found in Dumbartonshire
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations with single names. Lennox has appeared Lennox, Lenox, Levenax and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lennox
research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1400 and 1500 are included under the topic Early Lennox
History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Lennox
Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Lennox
family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 136 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland
, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence
. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan
societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name Lennox:
Lennox Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Robert Lennox, who landed in New York in 1783
- Patrick Lennox, who arrived in New England in 1785
- David Lennox, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1799
Lennox Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ann Lennox, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- Alexander, Andrew, Charles, David, John, Patrick, Robert, Thomas and William Lennox all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
- Andrew Lennox, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1875
- Christina Lennox, aged 33, who landed in America from Liverpool, in 1897
Lennox Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- David Lennox, aged 35, who settled in America from Dumbarton, in 1900
- Algernon Gordon Lennox, aged 56, who landed in America from Banbary, in 1903
- Eddie Lennox, aged 19, who landed in America from Balleymajgger, in 1904
- Alesie Lennox, aged 24, who landed in America from London, in 1905
- Elizabeth Lennox, aged 16, who landed in America from Derry, Ireland, in 1908
Lennox Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Mary Lennox, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1829
Lennox Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Emeline J. Lennox, aged 40, who settled in Toronto, Canada, in 1910
Lennox Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Lennox, aged 20, a dairy woman, arrived in South Australia in 1859 aboard the ship "Clara"
Lennox Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Lennox arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Owen Glendowner" in 1864
- William M. Lennox, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964
- William Lennox, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Colorado, 1908
- George E. Lennox, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Michigan 18th District, 1960, 1962
- Frank R. Lennox, American politician, Delegate to New York State Constitutional Convention 37th District, 1915
- Dennis Lennox, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 2008
- David Lennox (1855-1947), American inventor and businessman
- Betty Lennox (b. 1976), American professional basketball player
- Robert "Bobby" Lennox MBE (b. 1943), former Scottish professional footballer
- Annie Lennox OBE (b. 1954), Scottish pop musician, cofounder of the Eurythmics
- David Lennox (1788-1873), Scottish-Australian bridge-builder and master stonemason
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Lennox Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lennox Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 May 2016 at 14:06.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!