Köhring History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origin of the proud surname Köhring can be traced to the historic kingdom of Bohemia, which is now part of Czechoslovakia. German surnames developed at a time when most of Bohemia, and most of the German provinces, were states of the Holy Roman Empire. At first people used only a single name, but as the population grew and people began to travel, they began to find it necessary to take on an additional name to differentiate themselves. The surname Köhring originates from the Old German emperor's name, Kunrad, meaning "kuehn im Rat" (bold in counsel).
Early Origins of the Köhring family
The surname Köhring was first found in Bohemia, where the family is considered to have made a great early contribution to the feudal society which became the backbone of early development of Europe. The family became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in the savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever changing territorial profile. The name originates from the Old German emperor's name, Kunrad, meaning "kuehn im Rat" (bold in counsel).
Important Dates for the Köhring family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Köhring research. Another 222 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1696, 1711, 1800, 1815, 1821, and 1873 are included under the topic Early Köhring History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Köhring Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Conrad, Konrad, Kunrad, Kunrads, Kunrath, Konrath, Conrath, Konradt, Conradt, Cunrad, Cunrads, Cunrath, Conradi, Conraad, Konraad, Konrads, Conrads, Conraed, Conrade, Konrade, Konraed, Konrat, Conrat, Conratty, Conratt, Conred, Konred, Coonrod (Dutch) and many more.
Early Notables of the Köhring family (pre 1700)
During this early period, notable bearers of the name Köhring included Carl Signified Kunrad von Loewenthal, who was a prominent and honored Bohemian knight. He was granted the knighthood...
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Köhring Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Köhring migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Köhring Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christian Kohring, who arrived in America in 1837 
- Joh Bernh Gerh Kohring, who landed in America in 1837 
Contemporary Notables of the name Köhring (post 1700)
- Victor H. "Vic" Kohring (b. 1958), American politician, Member of the Alaska House of Representatives (2003-2007)
- Matthias Kohring (b. 1965), German professor for Media and Communication studies at the University of Mannheim
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)