Käppel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished surname Käppel comes from Austria, and is of two possible origins. Firstly, the name is derived from the Austrian term "Chaepplingaern," meaning "people living next to a chapel." Alternatively, the name may be derived from the place name "Caplendorf," the name of an Austrian village. Either of these origins would indicate the place of residence of the original bearer.
Early Origins of the Käppel family
The surname Käppel was first found in Austria, where it first emerged in the early Middle Ages. The first known bearer of the name was one known as bi der Chappel ("near the chapel",) who lived in Regensburg in 1272. The young Käppel family was instrumental during this early period, playing a major role in the development of medieval Austrian society.
Early History of the Käppel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Käppel research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1487, 1685, 1733, 1769, 1792, and 1871 are included under the topic Early Käppel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Käppel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kappel, Kappelmann, Kappler, Käppel and many more.
Early Notables of the Käppel family (pre 1700)
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Käppel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Käppel is the 13,031st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Käppel migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Käppel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Adam Kappel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743 
- Geo Kappel, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
Käppel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Kappel, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1806 
- Josef Kappel, who arrived in Texas in 1844 
- Joseph Kappel, who landed in America in 1851 
- Valentine Kappel, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1852 
Contemporary Notables of the name Käppel (post 1700) +
- Frederick Kappel (1902-1994), American businessman, Chairman of AT&T from 1961 to 1972, recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Joseph "Joe" Kappel (1857-1929), American Major League Baseball outfielder who played from 1884 to 1890
- Hugh Kappel (1910-1982), American artist
- Henry "Heinie" Kappel (1863-1905), American Major League Baseball infielder who played from 1887 to 1889
- Vladimir Oskarovich Kappel (1883-1920), White Russian military leader
- Hubert Käppel (b. 1951), German classical guitarist
- Leandro Kappel (b. 1989), Dutch professional footballer
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)