Giménez History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Giménez. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is "ez."
Early Origins of the Giménez family
The surname Giménez was first found in Old Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
Important Dates for the Giménez family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Giménez research. Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1101, 1246, 1170, 1247, 1355, 1435, 1390, 1423, 1436, 1517, 1462, 1505, 1499, 1510, 1533, 1568, 1569, 1666, 1729, 1601 and 1672 are included under the topic Early Giménez History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Giménez Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Jiménez, Jimenez, Giménez, Gimenez, Siménez, Simenez, Geméniz, Gemeniz, Jeméniz, Jemeniz, Ximénez, Ximenez, Gímez, Gimez, Jimeno and many more.
Early Notables of the Giménez family (pre 1700)
Notable bearers of the family name Giménez Garci Jiménez, a nobleman living in Toledo in 1101; noblemen Iñigo Ximénez de Lanclares and Martín Ximénez de Alava, witnesses to a document dated 1246; Rodrigo Jiménez de Rada (1170-1247), chronicler and historian to the Royal Court of Navarre; Pedro Jiménez de Segura, Ambassador of King James the Conqueror to the court of Granada in the late 13th century; Juan Ximénez (or Jiménez) Cerdán (c. 1355-1435), a fiscal and constitutional lawyer and legal theorist who served as the Justicia Mayor of the Kingdom of Aragon from 1390 until 1423; Cardinal Francisco Jiménez de Cisneros...
Another 128 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Giménez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Giménez migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Giménez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Augustin Gimenez, aged 40, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1829 
- Andres Gimenez, who arrived in Rio de la Plata in 1835 
- Ramon Gimenez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1853 
- Juan Gimenez, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1855 
- Carlos Gimenez, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1856 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Giménez (post 1700)
- Carlos A. Gimenez (b. 1954), Cuban American retired firefighter elected Mayor of Miami-Dade County, Florida in 2011
- Sébastien Gimenez (b. 1974), French football goalkeeper
- Pablo Gimenez (b. 1981), Paraguayan football player
- Luciana Gimenez (b. 1970), Brazil fashion model and TV show hostess
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)