Brückman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Brückman family
The surname Brückman was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. Translated literally, the name means "bridge-man," and referred to the occupation of taking toll at bridges. The name was found most frequently in Frankfurt in the 12th and 13th centuries.
Early History of the Brückman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brückman research. Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1818, 1819, 1480, 1521, 1473, 1583, 1654 and 1819 are included under the topic Early Brückman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brückman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bruckmann, Bruckman, Bruchmann, Bruchman, Brukmann, Brueckmann, Brueckman, Bruechmann, Bruekmann, Bruegmann (northern Germany), Brueggemann (Westphalia), Bruckmayr (Bavaria), Bruckmayer (Bavaria) and many more.
Early Notables of the Brückman family (pre 1700)
Prominent figures of the time who bore the name Brückman were Hans Brüggemann (ca. 1480-c. 1521), a German artist, best known for his large carved altarpiece in Schleswig Cathedral; John Brugman, O.F.M., (died 1473) a 15th-century Franciscan friar...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Brückman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brückman migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Brückman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Bruckman and his family, who arrived in North America in 1682
- William Bruckman, his wife Sarah and their three daughters, who all arrived in Pennsylvania in 1682
Brückman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Valentin Bruckman, on record in Philadelphia in 1754
Brückman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Bruckman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1807 
- Jacob G Bruckman, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1842 
- G Bruckman, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- Herman Bruckman, aged 38, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1872 
Contemporary Notables of the name Brückman (post 1700) +
- Robert Bruckman (b. 1962), American professional baseball player
- Amy Susan Bruckman (b. 1965), associate professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology
- Clyde A. Bruckman (1894-1955), American writer and director of comedy films
- Georg Thomas Bruckman (b. 1936), prominent New York City lawyer, and partner of Bruckman & Bruckman (1963-)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)