Engler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Engler emerged in the ancient German province of Westphalia, which lies between the Rhine and Wesser rivers. Two of the common types of hereditary surnames found in the Westphalia were patronymic surnames, which were derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which were derived from the mother's given name. The surname Engler was derived from various Germanic personal names. The name Engler is a short form of given names such as Engelbert or Engelhard.
Early Origins of the Engler family
The surname Engler was first found in Bremen, where the name contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation which would later play a large role in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. In later years the name branched into many houses, each playing a significant role in the local social and political affairs.
Early History of the Engler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Engler research. Another 120 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1772, 1630, 1674, 1669 and 1694 are included under the topic Early Engler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Engler Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name Engler include Engel, Engels, Engell, Engeler, Engeli, Aingel, Aingell, Aengel, Aengell, Aingeler, Engele, Aingele, Engler, Engebretson, Engelbrekt, Engelbretson, Engebrecht, Engelbrecht, Engelbrecher, Engelbert and many more.
Early Notables of the Engler family (pre 1700)
Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Engler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Engler migration to the United States +
Many Germans emigrated across the Atlantic to seek better lives in North America. This great migration began in the middle of the 17th century and continued into the 20th century. Resettlement was particularly attractive to those from Westphalia as a means of escape from poverty and religious persecution. For many Westphalian farmers, the chance to own one's own land was also a major incentive. The process of the widespread colonization of the United States began in 1650, when many immigrants from Germany settled in pockets in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. In Canada, German settlements centered around Ontario and the Prairie provinces. Among them:
Engler Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- James Engler, who arrived in Virginia in 1652 
Engler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Gaspard Engler, who arrived in Louisiana in 1718-1724 
- Johan Jacob Engler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Maria E Engler, who landed in New York, NY in 1749 
Engler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Georg Philip Engler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Charles Engler, who landed in New York, NY in 1836 
- Daniel Engler, who landed in Maryland in 1840 
- Jacob Engler, aged 24, who landed in Missouri in 1842 
- Joh Bern Engler, who landed in America in 1847 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Engler (post 1700) +
- Robert Engler, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1972
- Mathias John Engler, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State House of Representatives 100th District, 1968
- Lester Engler, American politician, U.S. Attorney for Canal Zone, 1970
- Kevin Engler, American Republican politician, Elected Missouri State House of Representatives 116th District 2012
- John Mathias Engler (b. 1948), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives, 1971-78 (100th District 1971-72, 89th District 1973-78); Member of Michigan State Senate, 1979-90 (36th District 1979-82, 35th District 1983-90); Governor of Michigan, 1991-2002
- George G. Engler, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Norwich; Elected 1926
- David Engler, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1996
- Colleen House Engler (b. 1952), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives, 1974-76, 1983-86 (101st District 1974-76, 99th District 1983-86); Defeated, 1976 ; Candidate in primary for Governor of Michigan, 1986; Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Michigan, 1986
- Clint C. Engler, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 17th District, 2000, 2002
- A. M. Engler, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Dakota, 1944
- ... (Another 14 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Engler +
- 3134 The Ancestral History of David Alan Engler, Born in Winona Minnesota 14 Nov. 1949 by David Alan Engler.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)