100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The ancient history of the name Eldred dates back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. It was a name given to a person noted for giving good counsel.
The surname Eldred was first found in Cambridgeshire
, at Aldreth, a hamlet that dates back to 1170 when it was listed as Alrehetha in the Pipe Rolls
. The name literally means "landing-place by the alders" from the Old English words for "alor" and "hyth." 
However the surname dates back further and is recorded in the Domesday Book
as Aldreth and Ealdred as holding lands under the Norman King William soon after the Conquest in 1086. In fact, Aldred was a famous ecclesiastic, who was Bishop of York from 1044-1060, and Archbishop of York from 1060-1069, and it was he who crowned the Conqueror.
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Eldred include Aldred, Aldreth, Aldret and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Eldred research. Another 117 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1198, 1552, 1632, 1653, 1561, 1624, 1586, 1588, 1563, 1646 and 1646 are included under the topic Early Eldred History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 293 words (21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Eldred Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Eldred or a variant listed above:
Eldred Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Samuel Eldred settled in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1630
- Nathaniel Eldred with his wife and servants settled in Barbados in 1680
Eldred Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Chas. Eldred, aged 44, who settled in America, in 1895
Eldred Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfred Eldred, aged 37, who landed in America from England, in 1902
- Albert Eldred, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States from Croydon, in 1905
- Arthur Eldred, aged 24, who settled in America from London, England, in 1908
- Byron E. Eldred, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Blanche Eldred, aged 30, who landed in America from London, England, in 1910
Eldred Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Peter Eldred U.E. who settled in Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he was part of the Port Matoon Association
Eldred Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Eldred, English convict from Stafford, who was transported aboard the "Adelaide" on August 08, 1849, settling in Van Diemen's Land and Port Phillip, Australia
- Sherman D. Eldred, American politician, Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1912; Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1912
- Nelson Eldred (1822-1903), American politician, Mayor of Battle Creek, Michigan, 1871
- Kenneth Eldred, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Chenango County, 1933
- James Eldred, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Sullivan County, 1835
- Herman S. Eldred, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Presidential Elector for Vermont, 1920
- Elon A. Eldred, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1912
- Foss O. Eldred (1884-1956), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State Senate 18th District, 1921-24; Mayor of Ionia, Michigan; Elected 1935; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1940
- Caleb Eldred, American politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Kalamazoo County, 1837
- Caleb Eldred, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Otsego County, 1818-19, 1820-21
- Andrew J. Eldred, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 4th District, 1878
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
The Eldred Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Eldred Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 October 2015 at 09:00.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!