Edgewithy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Of all the Anglo-Saxon names to come from Britain, Edgewithy is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in the parish of Edgeworth, Gloucestershire, and/or at Edgworth in Lancashire.
Early Origins of the Edgewithy family
The surname Edgewithy was first found in Edgworth, a township in the chapelry of Turton, in the hundred of Salford, Lancashire. It comprises 2960 acres of pasture and moor and dates back to 1212 when it was listed as Eggewrthe. The name probably means "enclosure on an edge or hillside" from the Old English "ecg" + "worth." 
Edgeworth is a small village and civil parish in Gloucestershire that had only 149 inhabitants as of 1848. 
Edgeworth, later called Edgeware was a village in Middlesex that was the original homestead of Roger Edgeworth, the Elizabethan monk whose family emigrated to Ireland.  Stephen de Eddeworth was Warden of the City of London in 1268.
Early History of the Edgewithy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Edgewithy research. Another 107 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1280, 1583, 1560, 1554, 1560, 1646, 1583, 1593, 1619 and 1641 are included under the topic Early Edgewithy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Edgewithy Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Edgewithy has been spelled many different ways, including Edgeworth, Edgworth, Edgeware, Edgeworthe and others.
Early Notables of the Edgewithy family (pre 1700)
Notables of this surname at this time include: Roger Edgeworth (d. 1560), was a Catholic divine, born at Holt Castle, the seat of Sir William Stanley, brother to the Earl of Derby. He was a canon of the cathedrals of Salisbury and Wells...
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Edgewithy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Edgewithy family to Ireland
Some of the Edgewithy family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 162 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Edgewithy family
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Edgewithys to arrive in North America: John Edgeworth who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1786; followed by George and Robert Edgeworth in 1868.
Related Stories +
The Edgewithy Motto +
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Constans contraria spernit
Motto Translation: The resolute man despises difficulties.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Burke, John Esq. A Genealogical and Heraldic History of The Landed Gentry; or Commoners of Great Britian and Ireland. London: Henry Colburn Publisher, 13, Great Marlborough Street, 1837, Print.