Duerdon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the name Duerdon date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence in the village of Dearden in the county of Lancashire.
Early Origins of the Duerdon family
The surname Duerdon was first found in Lancashire at Dearden, near Edenfield, Bury  where the name derives from the Old English word "deor" meaning "deer," and "denu", which meant "valley," collectively meaning "the valley of the deer."
Important Dates for the Duerdon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Duerdon research. Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1281 and 1130 are included under the topic Early Duerdon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Duerdon Spelling Variations
Duerdon has been spelled many different ways. Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Many variations of the name Duerdon have been found, including Dearden, Deardens, Durden, Dureden, Deardon and many more.
Early Notables of the Duerdon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Duerdon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Duerdon migration to the United States
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Duerdons to arrive on North American shores:
Duerdon Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Edmundson Duerdon, who landed in New York in 1868 
- Martha Duerdon, aged 15, who arrived in New York in 1868 
- Nephi Duerdon, aged 7, who landed in New York in 1868 
- Richard Duerdon, aged 38, who arrived in New York in 1868 
- Sarah Duerdon, aged 34, who landed in New York in 1868 
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)