Donatt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Donatt is a name that came to England in the 11th century wave of migration that was set off by the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Donatt family lived in Sussex. The family was originally from D'Anet, in Normandy, and it is from this location that their surname derives.
Early Origins of the Donatt family
The surname Donatt was first found in Leicestershire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Some of the family were later found in Owlpen, a parish, in the union of Dursley, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester. The church there has "some memorials of the very ancient family of Danet, who formerly resided here, and were of considerable eminence." 
Early History of the Donatt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Donatt research. Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1332, 1359, 1510, 1600, 1180, 1187, 1189, 1431, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Donatt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Donatt Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dannett, Dannet, Danet, Donat, Donatt, Donett, Donet, Dannatt, Danatt, Dannet, Dannant and many more.
Early Notables of the Donatt family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Donatt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Donatt migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Donatt Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Geo Donatt, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1734 
- Johannes Jacob Donatt, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Joseph Donatt, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1796 
- Joseph Donatt, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1796
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)