Di martino History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Di martino came from the Latin name Martinus, which is a derivative of Mars, who was the Roman god of fertility and war.The popularity of the name Martin is due to Saint Martin de Tours, who was one of the best known saints in the Western World. With the spread of Christianity, people named their children after saints in the hope that the children might enjoy that saint's patronage. Martin is also one of the few saints' names, other than the names of Old English saints, found in England before the Norman Conquest.
Early Origins of the Di martino family
The surname Di martino was first found in Brescia, where Theobaldo Martinengo, born in 930, was very important to the empire of Otto I. In 953 he donated 15 castles in the area to the empire, and his son Tebaldo led 12,000 men fighting against the Greeks for the empire. His son Leopardo became master of sixty castles, one of which he named Martinengo.
Important Dates for the Di martino family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Di martino research. More information is included under the topic Early Di martino History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Di martino Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Di martino include De Martini, De Martinis, De Martino, DeMartini, DeMartinis, DeMartino, Martignon, Martignone, Martignoni, Martin, Martina, Martinati, Martinato, Martinelli, Martinetti, Martini, Martinilli, Martinis, Martino, Martinoni, Martinotti, Martinuzzi and many more.
Early Notables of the Di martino family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this family in early times was Simone Martini, known for his strides in the development of Italian Gothic Painting in the early 14th century. One of his well known works is The Road to Cavalry, a vivid painting with the influence of expressionism and drama from Giotto. Martini was said to be the most distinguished of Duccio's disciples. Another member of the Di martino lineage is Guglielmo Martini, who became senator of Palermo in 1335. More famous is Francesco di Giorgio, better known as Francesco di Siena, born in 1439. He was trained as a painter, but became...
Another 229 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Di martino Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Di martino migration to the United States
The records on immigrants and ships' passengers show a number of people bearing the name Di martino:
Di martino Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Rosa DiMartino, aged 24, who landed in America from Vico Equense, Italy, in 1895
- Antonio DiMartino, aged 60, who landed in America from Vico Equense, Italy, in 1895
Di martino Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Abbieri Filomena DiMartino, aged 47, who landed in America from Italy, in 1900
- Andrea DiMartino, aged 10, who immigrated to the United States from Leopol, Italy, in 1901
- Andrea Dimartino, aged 32, who landed in America from S. Croce, Siracusa, in 1907
- Angelo DiMartino, aged 25, who settled in America from Mesilmeri, Italy, in 1909
- Bernardo DiMartino, aged 20, who settled in America from S. Giuseppe J., Sicily, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Di martino (post 1700)
- Gina DiMartino (b. 1988), American soccer player
- Michael Dante DiMartino, American animation director
- Victoria Teresa DiMartino (b. 1991), American soccer player
- Christina DiMartino (b. 1986), American soccer midfielder
- Rita DiMartino, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 2008 
- Jana DiMartino, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Hawaii, 2008 
- Brian DiMartino, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Hawaii, 2008 
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html