100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The majestic region of Picardy in France was the place of origin of the prestigious surname Deschamps. Deschamps is a topographic surname, which is a form of hereditary surname, and was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. The surname Deschamps is derived from the Old French word "champ," which means field, and literally means "of the fields."
The surname Deschamps was first found in Picardy (French: Picardie) in northern France, where the family was first established, and expanded to become one of the more notable names in the region.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Deschamps, Deschamp, DesChamps, DesChamp, Descamps, Descamp, DesCamps, DesCamp, Dechamps, Dechamp, DeChamps, DeChamp, des Champs, Deschemps, Duchamps, Duchamp, DuChamps, DuChamp, Déchamps, Déchamp, Deschams, de Champs, de Champ, Le Champ, Delachamps, Dechant, Deschemps, Deschemp, Déchemps, Déchemp, Deschems, Décham, Le Champ, Les Champs, Le Camp, de Camp, Descamp, Descampes, Le Campes, de Campes, Champs, Champ, Champlain, Champlaine and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Deschamps research. Another 797 words (57 lines of text) covering the years 1258, 1346, 1406, 1450, 1567, 1574, 1608, 1619, 1683, 1715, 1791, 1800, 1861, 1869, and 1871 are included under the topic Early Deschamps History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 411 words (29 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Deschamps Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Deschamps Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Issac Broussard DesChamps, who settled in New York in 1668
- Isaac Broussard DesChamps, who landed in New York, NY in 1668
Deschamps Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Deschamps, aged 40, landed in Louisiana in 1719
- Philippe Deschamps, 45, who settled in Louisiana in 1719 with his wife Claudine
- Blanche Deschamps, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1763
- Frosine Deschamps, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1763
Deschamps Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antoine Deschamps, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1816
- Miss Deschamps, who settled in New Orleans in 1822
- Antoine Deschamps, who settled in Philadelphia in 1852
Deschamps Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Jean Deschamps, who arrived in Canada in 1642
- Toussaint Deschamps, who landed in Montreal in 1653
Deschamps Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Isaac Deschamps, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1760
- Jérôme Deschamps (b. 1947), French actor, director and opera manager
- Hubert Deschamps (1923-1998), French actor
- Gérard Deschamps (b. 1937), French contemporary artist
- Émile de Saint-Amand Deschamps (1791-1871), French poet
- Didier Claude Deschamps (b. 1968), retired French footballer and current manager of France
- Jean-Pierre Deschamps (b. 1941), French physician and general manager of the Centre de Médecine Préventive in the French city of Nancy, where he also held the position of town councilor from 1970 to 1975
- Jacques Antoine Deschamps de la Varenne, French Brigadier General during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars from 1789 to 1815
- Hubert Deschamps (1900-1979), French historian and administrator
- Paul Deschamps (1888-1974), French archaeologist
- Yvon Deschamps CQ (b. 1935), Canadian author, actor, comedian and producer
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
The Deschamps Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Deschamps Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 April 2015 at 08:47.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!