De weese History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname De weese is a Bavarian nickname surname. German nicknames came from eke-names, or added names, and tended to describe a physical characteristic or other attribute of their initial bearer. De weese is a name for a person who had a pale complexion or fair colored hair. The surname De weese was derived from the German word weises, which meant white.
Early Origins of the De weese family
The surname De weese was first found in Bavaria, where the name gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. Chronicles first mention Nicolaus Weiser of Iglau in Bohemia in 1378.
Early History of the De weese family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our De weese research. Another 180 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1867, 1830, 1852, 1840, 1844, 1798, 1841, 1842, 1642, 1708, 1810 and 1867 are included under the topic Early De weese History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De weese Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name De weese include Weise, Weis, Weiser, Wise and others.
Early Notables of the De weese family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the name De weese in this period include Christian Weise (1642-1708), who was a renowned German author of moral tragedies, poetry, and comedies; and Baron Carl Gottlieb Weis (b.1810), departmental head at the Austrian...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early De weese Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De weese Ranking
In the United States, the name De weese is the 6,087th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
De weese migration to the United States +
Thousands of German settlers came to North America between the mid-17th and mid-20th centuries. The hardships of the long voyage were balanced by the opportunity to escape poverty and religious persecution. The descendents of these settlers still populate the states of Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. Many also live in Ontario and the prairie provinces of Canada. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name De weese or a variant listed above:
De weese Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Benjamin Deweese, who immigrated to the United States, in 1904
- Mrs. Rollen Deweese, aged 35, who landed in America, in 1912
- Rollen Deweese, aged 41, who settled in America, in 1912
- Walter Lee DeWeese, aged 24, who immigrated to Ainsworth, Iowa, in 1915
Contemporary Notables of the name De weese (post 1700) +
- John Thomas Deweese (1835-1906), American Congressional Representative from North Carolina
- Devin Deweese, American professor of Islamic and Central Eurasian Studies
- Thomas Eugene DeWeese (1934-2012), American writer of fiction
- H. William "Bill" DeWeese (b. 1950), American member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- James M. DeWeese, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kentucky, 1904 
- James B. DeWeese (d. 1978), American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1956 
- Herald F. DeWeese, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 8th District, 1960 
- Hamilton G. DeWeese, American Democratic Party politician, Democratic Candidate for Ohio Treasurer of State, 1924, 1926 (primary) 
- Hall DeWeese, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Missouri, 1944 
- H. William DeWeese, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1996, 2000, 2004; Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 2000 
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name De weese +
- Allison, Dewees (Also Deweese), Johnson, Scruggs and Other Related Families: Old Photographs, Letters etc. by Judith Allison Walters.