De richerd History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
De richerd is one of the many names that the Normans brought with them when they conquered England in 1066. The name De richerd came from the Old German name Ricard, meaning powerful and brave.
Early Origins of the De richerd family
The surname De richerd was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat at Hatfield being ancient Lords of the manor of Ricard or Rycard. Over on the Isle of Wight in Yaverland, a small branch of the family was found at one time. "An ancient mansion of the Russells here, subsequently of the Richards family, and now a farmhouse, is a good specimen of the Elizabethan style." 
Early History of the De richerd family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our De richerd research. Another 131 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1379, 1817, 1641, 1668, 1643, 1705, 1694, 1692, 1669, 1709, 1673, 1721, 1630, 1654, 1564, 1643, 1705, 1527, 1522 and 1728 are included under the topic Early De richerd History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De richerd Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries. For that reason, spelling variations are common among many Anglo-Norman names. The shape of the English language was frequently changed with the introduction of elements of Norman French, Latin, and other European languages; even the spelling of literate people's names were subsequently modified. De richerd has been recorded under many different variations, including Richards, Richard, Ricard, Rycard and others.
Early Notables of the De richerd family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include William Richards, Captain and Vice Admiral of Kent; Ralph Richards, rector of Helmdon, Northamptonshire from 1641 to 1668; and his son, William Richards (1643-1705), an English clergyman and author; and John Richards (died 1694), English-born, colonial military officer, businessman, politician, and magistrate in America, best known for his participation in the Salem witch trials in 1692.
John Richards (1669-1709), was a British Major-General...
Another 68 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early De richerd Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the De richerd family to Ireland
Some of the De richerd family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 82 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the De richerd family
To escape the uncertainty of the political and religious uncertainty found in England, many English families boarded ships at great expense to sail for the colonies held by Britain. The passages were expensive, though, and the boats were unsafe, overcrowded, and ridden with disease. Those who were hardy and lucky enough to make the passage intact were rewarded with land, opportunity, and social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families went on to be important contributors to the young nations of Canada and the United States where they settled. De richerds were some of the first of the immigrants to arrive in North America: Thomas Richards Jr., who arrived in Nantasket, MA in 1630, aboard the "Mary and John"; William Richards who arrived in Virginia in 1635; Robert Richards, who arrived in Barbados in 1634.
Related Stories +
The De richerd Motto +
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Honore et amore
Motto Translation: With honour and love.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.