The surname De martino came from the Latin name Martinus, which is a derivative of Mars, who was the Roman god of fertility and war.The popularity of the name Martin is due to Saint Martin de Tours, who was one of the best known saints in the Western World. With the spread of Christianity, people named their children after saints in the hope that the children might enjoy that saint's patronage. Martin is also one of the few saints' names, other than the names of Old English saints, found in England
before the Norman Conquest.
Early Origins of the De martino family
The surname De martino was first found in Brescia, where Theobaldo Martinengo, born in 930, was very important to the empire of Otto I
. In 953 he donated 15 castles in the area to the empire, and his son Tebaldo led 12,000 men fighting against the Greeks for the empire. His son Leopardo became master of sixty castles, one of which he named Martinengo.
De martino Spelling Variations
There are many variations of most of those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. Some of these come from regional differences, like the tradition of ending northern names in "o" and southern names in "i". Others come from inaccuracies in the recording process, which were extremely common in the eras before dictionaries standardized spelling. Some of the spelling variations
of De martino are De Martini, De Martinis, De Martino, DeMartini, DeMartinis, DeMartino, Martignon, Martignone, Martignoni, Martin, Martina, Martinati, Martinato, Martinelli, Martinetti, Martini, Martinilli, Martinis, Martino, Martinoni, Martinotti, Martinuzzi and many more.
Early Notables of the De martino family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this family in early times was Simone Martini, known for his strides in the development of Italian Gothic Painting in the early 14th century. One of his well known works is The Road to Cavalry, a vivid painting with the influence of expressionism and drama from Giotto... Another 279 words (20 lines of text) are included under the topic Early De martino Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the De martino family to the New World and Oceana
In the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name De martino
De martino Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Cecilie DeMartino, aged 29, who emigrated to the United States from Nepoli, in 1900
- Anna DeMartino, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from Salerno, Italy, in 1905
- Angelarosa DeMartino, aged 58, who landed in America from Avellino, Italy, in 1906
- Amedea DeMartino, aged 34, who settled in America from Napoli, Italy, in 1913
- Eliza DeMartino, aged 30, who landed in America from Napoli, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name De martino (post 1700)
- Nick DeMartino (b. 1948), American Senior Vice President, Media and Technology for the American Film Institute