De luca History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname De luca can be traced back to the ancient and beautiful region of Sicily, which is located off Southwestern Italy and incorporates the island of Sicily itself, the area of Naples, and the southern part of the Italian peninsula. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most common type of family name found in the region of Sicily is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname De luca was derived from the Latin given name Lucas, which was also a form of the Greek name Loucas. During the Middle Ages, the name became popular due to St. Luke the Evangelist.
Early Origins of the De luca family
The surname De luca was first found in Barletta when Ludivico Luca was governor in 1340.
Early History of the De luca family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our De luca research. More information is included under the topic Early De luca History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De luca Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: DeLuca, Luca, Lucantoni, Lucarelli, Lucariello, Lucarini, Lucas, Lucatti, Lucattini, Lucca, Luccarini, Lucchelli, Lucchetta, Lucchetti, Lucchi, Lucchini, Lucco, Luchelli, Luchetta, Luchetti, Luchi, Luchini and many more.
Early Notables of the De luca family (pre 1700)
By the end of the 15th century, southern Italy was known as the Kingdom of Naples, ruled by the house of Aragon. By the early eighteenth century, the Austrians had gained much of the region, under the rule of the Austrian emperor Kales VI. However, in 1734, Spaniard Don Carlos defeated the Austrians, and the region came under Spanish rule once more. In 1799, the French...
Another 65 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early De luca Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De luca migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
De luca Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Juan DeLuca, who arrived in Dominican Republic in 1835 
- Alfonso DeLuca, aged 35, who settled in America from Castellemone di Italia, in 1898
De luca Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelina DeLuca, aged 5, who immigrated to the United States from Cerzeto, in 1900
- Andrea DeLuca, aged 31, who immigrated to America from Arpaia, Italy, in 1907
- Achille DeLuca, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States from Palermo, Sicily, in 1907
- Angelo DeLuca, aged 18, who settled in America from Cagliacozzo, Aguola, in 1908
- Albina DeLuca, aged 23, who settled in America from Mantsico, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name De luca (post 1700) +
- Frederick A. "Fred" DeLuca (1947-2015), American businessman, co-founder of the Subway franchise of sandwich shops
- Giorgio DeLuca, American businessman, one of the founders, along with Joel Dean and Jack Ceglic, of the gourmet grocery store Dean & DeLuca
- George Benjamin DeLuca (1889-1983), American Lieutenant Governor of New York from 1955 to 1958
- Rocco DeLuca, American musician
- Michael DeLuca (b. 1965), American movie producer
- Louis C. DeLuca, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut Republican State Central Committee; Member of Connecticut State Senate 32nd District, 1991- 
- George B. DeLuca (b. 1889), American Democrat politician, Lieutenant Governor of New York; Elected 1954; Defeated, 1958; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1956, 1960 
- Emil DeLuca, American Republican politician, Mayor of Elmsford, New York; Elected unopposed 1951, 1953; Elected 1957 
- Anthony J. Deluca, American Democrat politician, Member of Delaware State Senate 11th District; Elected 1998 
- Anthony DeLuca, American politician, Mayor of Chicago Heights, Illinois, 2003-07 
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html