De jong History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The De jong surname comes from the Middle Dutch words "de jonc," meaning "the young," a term used to denote the younger of two bearers of the same name, usually a son who bore the same name as his father, which later became a hereditary surname.
Early Origins of the De jong family
The surname De jong was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the De jong family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our De jong research. Another 118 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1821, 1831, 1709, 1569, 1632, 1635, 1714, 1609 and 1647 are included under the topic Early De jong History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De jong Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Jong, Jonge, Jonges, Jongg, Jonng, Joong, Joonge, Jonggs, Jongges, de Jong, van Jong, de Jong, Johngh and many more.
Early Notables of the De jong family (pre 1700)
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early De jong Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De jong Ranking
In the United States, the name De jong is the 8,952nd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in Netherlands, the name De jong is ranked the 1st most popular surname with an estimated 91,285 people with that name. 
| De jong migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
De jong Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hend DeJong, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Hendrik DeJong, aged 6, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Henrick DeJong, aged 4, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- Jacob DeJong, aged 15, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- Koenraad DeJong, aged 45, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name De jong (post 1700) ||+|
- Petrus Jozef Sietse "Piet" de Jong LVO, DSC (1915-2016), Dutch politician and naval officer, Minister of Defence (1963–1967), Prime Minister (1967–1971)
- Constance DeJong (b. 1950), American artist writer and playwright
- Johannes de Jong (b. 1912), Frisian architect
- Jelle De Jong (b. 1933), Frisian writer
- Inne De Jong (b. 1894), Frisian writer
- Adrianus Michael de Jong (1888-1943), Dutch very popular novelist from Rotterdam
- Cardinal Johannes De Jong (1885-1955), Dutch outspoken and fearless critic of the Nazi-occupation
- Meindert DeJong (1906-1991), Frisian award winning author of children's books
- Frank de Jong (b. 1955), Canadian politician, environmentalist
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- "Most Common Last Names in Netherlands." Forebears, https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)