The Italian surname De filippo is a patronymic
name created from the first name of a male ancestor. As a first name, it is derived from the Latin "Philippus," which is in turn derived from the Greek "Philipp•s." This name is composed of the element "philos" which means "friend," and "hippos," meaning "horse." Thus the surname literally means "son of one who is a lover of horses." This name became common throughout Europe due to several saints and monarchs who bore the name.
Early Origins of the De filippo family
The surname De filippo was first found in the ancient city of Arcevia, where a record from 1238 showed a Corrado di Filippino, who owned Castle Montesecco.
Early History of the De filippo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our De filippo research.Another 280 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1625, 1457, 1574, 1536, 1602, 1830 and 1859 are included under the topic Early De filippo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De filippo Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Filippi, Filippo, Filippa, Filpo, Filpi, Firpo, Filippino, Filipi, Filipucci, Filipipi, Firpi, De Filippo, De Filippi, De Filippis, Di Filippo, Filipovich, Filipcic, Filippelli, Filippello, Filippetti, Filippini, Filippucci, Filippozzi, Filipponi, Filippone, Filippazzo, Filippaz, Filipaz, Filipas, Filippanio, Filippato and many more.
Early Notables of the De filippo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Fra Filippo Lippi, a famous Florentine painter of the 15th century. He was influenced by Massaccio, and painted much for the Medici family, the rulers at the time. Another famous painter was Filippino Lippi, born in Prato in 1457, who worked in Florence under... Another 149 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early De filippo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the De filippo family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
De filippo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- F. DeFilippo, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1902
- Antonio DeFilippo, aged 26, who emigrated to America from Vico Garganico, Italy, in 1907
- Angelo DeFilippo, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Saruso, Salerno, Italy, in 1909
- Antonia Defilippo, aged 11, who landed in America from Carlentini, Italy, in 1909
- Almerindo DeFilippo, aged 24, who settled in America from Cintella, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name De filippo (post 1700)
- John DeFilippo (b. 1978), American football coach for the Oakland Raiders
- Charlotte DeFilippo, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1996, 2000, 2004 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Luca De Filippo (1948-2015), Italian actor and director of theatre