The surname De felice is a patronymic
surname, created from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal
System. The name De felice came from the Latin word "felix," which means "happy."
Early Origins of the De felice family
The surname De felice was first found in Rome (Italian: Roma), the capital of the Kingdom of Italy, where Marcus Antonius Felix was a prominent member of the community, as he is known to have cleared the country of robbers.
Early History of the De felice family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our De felice research. More information is included under the topic Early De felice History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
De felice Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations
in the name De felice include Felici, Felice, Filice, Felise, Felis, Felisaz, De Felice, De Felici, Del Felice, Di Felice, Felicetti, Felicetta, Felicini, Felicioli, Feliciotti, Feliciani, Felician, Feliziani, Felicioni, Felisati, Felisatti, Feliciangeli, Felicitas and many more.
Early Notables of the De felice family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Giurarono Feliciani of Bologna was a part of the crusades in 1217. Enrichetto Feliciani was a member of government in 1291 in Bologna, and was also involved in planning... Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early De felice Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the De felice family to the New World and Oceana
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name De felice or a variant listed above:
De felice Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Amantonia DeFelice, aged 26, who landed in America from Casoli, Italy, in 1907
- Annina DeFelice, aged 20, who landed in America from Vasto, Italy, in 1909
- Carmine DeFelice, aged 48, who settled in America from Paganica, Italy, in 1910
- Caterina DeFelice, aged 32, who landed in America from San Prisco, Italy, in 1911
- Aspunta DeFelice, aged 19, who landed in America from Rodi Gargamo, Italy, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name De felice (post 1700)
- Father Jonathan DeFelice O.S.B.,, American academic, President of New England's Saint Anselm College in Goffstown
- Cynthia DeFelice (b. 1951), American children's book author
- Phillip Defelice, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Montana State House of Representatives 33rd District, 2010 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Norman Defelice (1933-2015), Canadian ice hockey goaltender and coach, active from 1951 to 1970