The 12th century Anglo- Norman Conquest
lead by Strongbow
introduced the first non-Gaelic elements into Irish nomenclature. The surname Cummerfithy came to Ireland
at that time. It came originally from the name of a village in Staffordshire
, and as such belongs to the category of Anglo-Norman habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Cummerfithy family
The surname Cummerfithy was first found in Kent
before making its way to Ireland
. The name has become almost nonexistent in England
. There are Domesday references to the surname in Kent
. Later, just over a century later the name moved to Oxfordshire
, and Staffordshire
, where there is a village of Comerford. In the year 1210, soon after the invasion of Strongbow
, Earl of Pembroke, in 1172, the Comerfords were granted land in Kilkenny
, in Ireland. The family is listed as 'New Settlers' who joined Strongbow
and got large grants of land in the County of Wexford.
Early History of the Cummerfithy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cummerfithy research.Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1542, 1599, 1558, 1604, 1585, 1586, 1625, 1652, 1762 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Cummerfithy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cummerfithy Spelling Variations
A single person's name was often spelt simply as it sounded by medieval scribes and church officials. An investigation into the specific origins the name Cummerfithy has revealed that such a practice has resulted in many spelling variations
over the years. A few of its variants include: Comerford, Comfort, Comport, Comberford, Cummerford, Cumerford, Commerford, Cumfort, Cumport, Comfurt, Compart, Cumberford and many more.
Early Notables of the Cummerfithy family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Dr. Nicholas Quemerfod (c.1542-1599) of Waterford
, religious scholar and lecturer, who was the first of sixteen Jesuits of the name; Gerald, Gerard or Garrett Comerford (c.1558-1604), an Irish barrister, judge and statesman who sat in... Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cummerfithy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cummerfithy family to the New World and Oceana
In the 1840s, Ireland
experienced a mass exodus to North America due to the Great Potato Famine
. These families wanted to escape from hunger and disease that was ravaging their homeland. With the promise of work, freedom and land overseas, the Irish looked upon British North America and the United States as a means of hope and prosperity. Those that survived the journey were able to achieve this through much hard work and perseverance. Early immigration and passenger lists revealed many bearing the name Cummerfithy: James Comerford, who settled in America in 1764; Frederic Comerford settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804; followed by John in 1828; Kehone in 1871.
The Cummerfithy Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: So ho ho dea ne
Motto Translation: God will perform it.