The 12th century Anglo- Norman Conquest
lead by Strongbow
introduced the first non-Gaelic elements into Irish nomenclature. The surname Cumerfith came to Ireland
at that time. It came originally from the name of a village in Staffordshire
, and as such belongs to the category of Anglo-Norman habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Cumerfith family
The surname Cumerfith was first found in Kent
before making its way to Ireland
. The name has become almost nonexistent in England
. There are Domesday references to the surname in Kent
. Later, just over a century later the name moved to Oxfordshire
, and Staffordshire
, where there is a village of Comerford. In the year 1210, soon after the invasion of Strongbow
, Earl of Pembroke, in 1172, the Comerfords were granted land in Kilkenny
, in Ireland. The family is listed as 'New Settlers' who joined Strongbow
and got large grants of land in the County of Wexford.
Early History of the Cumerfith family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cumerfith research.Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1542, 1599, 1558, 1604, 1585, 1586, 1625, 1652, 1762 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Cumerfith History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cumerfith Spelling Variations
Medieval scribes and church officials often spelled the name Cumerfith as it sounded to them. As a result, the name Cumerfith, over the ages, has attained many spelling variations
including Comerford, Comfort, Comport, Comberford, Cummerford, Cumerford, Commerford, Cumfort, Cumport, Comfurt, Compart, Cumberford and many more.
Early Notables of the Cumerfith family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Dr. Nicholas Quemerfod (c.1542-1599) of Waterford
, religious scholar and lecturer, who was the first of sixteen Jesuits of the name; Gerald, Gerard or Garrett Comerford (c.1558-1604), an Irish barrister, judge and statesman who sat in... Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cumerfith Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cumerfith family to the New World and Oceana
experienced a dramatic decrease in its population during the 19th century. This was in a great measure, a response to England's imperialistic policies. Hunger and disease took the lives of many Irish people and many more chose to leave their homeland to escape the horrific conditions. North America with its promise of work, freedom, and land was an extremely popular destination for Irish families
. For those families that survived the journey, all three of these things were often attained through much hard work and perseverance. Research into early immigration and passenger lists revealed many immigrants bearing the name Cumerfith: James Comerford, who settled in America in 1764; Frederic Comerford settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804; followed by John in 1828; Kehone in 1871.
The Cumerfith Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: So ho ho dea ne
Motto Translation: God will perform it.