Today's Irish surnames are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Cinsellagh originally appeared in Gaelic as Cinnsealach. This surname is derived from the
name Ui Ceinnsealaigh.
from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cinsellagh research.Another 181 words (13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cinsellagh History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations
of the name Cinsellagh dating from that time include Kinsella, Kinsellagh, Kincheloe,Kenselloe, Kinsello and many more.
To escape the religious and political discrimination they experienced primarily at the hands of the English, thousands of Irish left their homeland in the 19th century. These migrants typically settled in communities throughout the East Coast of North America, but also joined the wagon trains moving out to the Midwest. Ironically, when the American War of Independence
began, many Irish settlers took the side of England
, and at the war's conclusion moved north to Canada. These United Empire Loyalists, were granted land along the St. Lawrence River and the Niagara Peninsula. Other Irish immigrants settled in Newfoundland, the Ottawa Valley, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The greatest influx of Irish immigrants, however, came to North America during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. Thousands left Ireland
at this time for North America and Australia
. Many of those numbers, however, did not live through the long sea passage. These Irish settlers to North America were immediately put to work building railroads, coal mines, bridges, and canals. Irish settlers made an inestimable contribution to the building of the New World. Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the Irish name Cinsellagh or a variant listed above, including: Michael Kinsella, who settled in Philadelphia in 1860; and John Alexander Kinsella who settled there in 1846.