Buerger History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Buerger surname refers to a citizen of a borough, from the Middle High German "burc," meaning a "fortified town." As a surname, Buerger may also come from one of the many place names in the region.
Early Origins of the Buerger family
The surname Buerger was first found in Austria, where the name Burger made a great early contribution to the feudal society of early Europe. The Burger family became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses where family members continued to play important roles in the savage tribal and national conflicts which occurred as each group sought to maximize its power and status in an ever changing territorial profile.
Early History of the Buerger family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Buerger research. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1851, 1854, 1747, 1794, 1773, 1834, 1881, 1872, 1876 and 1727 are included under the topic Early Buerger History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Buerger Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name Buerger include Burger, Burgger, Burrger, Burgerr, Buerger, Buergger, Buergerr, Borger, Borgger, Borgger, Borgerr, Boerger, Boergger, Boerrger, Boergerr, Burgen, Buergen, Borgen, Boergen, Burgel, Buergel, Borgel, Boergel, Burgele, Buergele, Borgele, Boergele and many more.
Early Notables of the Buerger family (pre 1700)
During this period prominent bearers of the name Buerger were Gottfried August Burger (1747-1794), German Romantic poet, who was best known for his ballad "Lenore" which was first published in 1773. Thomas François Burgers (1834-1881), South African...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Buerger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Buerger is the 17,854th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Buerger migration to the United States +
An inquiry into the early roots of North American families reveals a number of immigrants bearing the name Buerger or a variant listed above:
Buerger Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Aloisius Buerger, who arrived in New York, NY in 1782 
Buerger Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ernst Moritz Buerger, who landed in New York in 1844 
- John H Buerger, who arrived in Mississippi in 1859 
- John H. Buerger, who arrived in Mississippi in 1859
- Phillipp H Buerger, who landed in Ohio in 1869 
- Agatha Buerger, aged 9, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1876 
Contemporary Notables of the name Buerger (post 1700) +
- Martin Julian Buerger (b. 1903), American educator
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)