Brocksbank History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Brocksbank is a name whose history is connected to the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Brocksbank family once lived in Yorkshire, where the name is derived from two places with the name Brooksbank in the West Riding. These place names are derived from Old English: brokes, the genitive of broke, which means "brook, stream"; and bank, as in riverbank.  
Early Origins of the Brocksbank family
The surname Brocksbank was first found in Yorkshire where one of the first listings of the name was Thomas Brokesbank, who was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379. 
Early History of the Brocksbank family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brocksbank research. Another 74 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1802, 1612, 1694, 1756, 1741 and 1743 are included under the topic Early Brocksbank History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brocksbank Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Brocksbank family name include Brookbank, Brocksbank, Brookebank, Brooksbank and many more.
Early Notables of the Brocksbank family (pre 1700)
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Brocksbank Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brocksbank migration to the United States +
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Brocksbank surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Brocksbank Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Brocksbank, who landed in New York in 1836 
Related Stories +
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Harrison, Henry, Surnames of the United Kingdom: A Concise Etymological Dictionary Baltimore: Geneological Publishing Company, 2013. Print
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)