The current generations of the Bolmanough family have inherited a surname that was first used hundreds of years ago by descendants of the ancient Scottish tribe called the Picts
. The Bolmanough family lived in the old lands of Balmanno in Kincardine. The name is a topographic
surname, which was given to a family who held a barony or lands, had houses, manors or estates in the area.
Early Origins of the Bolmanough family
The surname Bolmanough was first found in Kincardine, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Bolmanough family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bolmanough research.Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1447 and 1582 are included under the topic Early Bolmanough History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bolmanough Spelling Variations
Scribes in the Middle Ages did not have access to a set of spelling rules. They spelled according to sound, the result was a great number of spelling variations
. In various documents, Bolmanough has been spelled Balmano, Belmano, Belmanno, Bolmano, Ballmanno and many more.
Early Notables of the Bolmanough family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bolmanough Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bolmanough family to the New World and Oceana
The cruelties suffered under the new government forced many to leave their ancient homeland for the freedom of the North American colonies. Those who arrived safely found land, freedom, and opportunity for the taking. These hardy settlers gave their strength and perseverance to the young nations that would become the United States and Canada. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the name Bolmanough: Bamon Balmon who settled in Philadelphia, Pa. in 1868. William Belmano arrived in Philadelphia in 1856.