100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Boase is rooted in the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture. It was a name for someone who was a person who bragged
one of vain-glory
. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the Old English word bost
, which means vaunt or brag
The surname Boase was first found in Cornwall
where they held a family seat
from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest
Boase has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Boas, Boase, Boasie and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Boase research. Another 238 words (17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Boase History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 25 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Boase Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England
, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Boases to arrive on North American shores:
Boase Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Boase who settled in Virginia in 1656
Boase Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Boase, who landed in Virginia in 1728
Boase Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacob Boase arrived in Philadelphia in 1834
- Maurice Boase, aged 18, arrived in New York in 1854
Boase Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Francis Boase arrived in Nova Scotia in 1774 with his wife and five children and spelled his name as Boast
Boase Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William W. Boase, aged 23, a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Sea Park"
- Mary Paynter Boase, aged 37, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "David Malcolm"
- Mary Boase, aged 16, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "David Malcolm"
- James Boase, aged 47, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Standard"
- Martha O. Boase, aged 17, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Standard"
- Henry Boase (1763-1827), English banker and author
- Frederick Boase (1843-1916), English lawyer and biographer
- George Clement Boase (1829-1897), English bibliographer and antiquary
- Henry Samuel Boase FRS (1799-1883), English geologist
- Lieutenant-General Allan Joseph Boase (1894-1964), Australian General Officer Commander in Chief Southern Command from 1949 to 1950
- Wendy Boase (1944-1999), Australian co-founder of the children's publishing company Walker Books, eponym of the Branford Boase Award
- Leslie Boase, Diplomat
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
The Boase Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Boase Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 October 2012 at 02:41.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!